Musical Fidelity A324 DAC, Is this a ??

Is this a smooth sounding DAC?
Warm and detailed or very detailed and forward sounding?

Any opinions would be appreciated

Thanks

rapogee
rapogee
In my small tube system , (cayin TA-30)it is excellent, I am useing a phillips cd80 for a transport through a monarchy dip,
odyssey epiphany speakers. I'm not familiar with the denon changers but it may be transport or system /cable dependent. Best bet is to see if you could borrow one and try it in your system. TG
I own a rotel RCD855. Used the dac your looking at. Not that dig a deal. Not a day and night diffrence that stereophile would make you think but they really didnt give that great of a review if you read. " It added more air then the jupider refrence player, your results may be better..." If I were you id spend some more $$ You will grow tired of it quick . The guy I sold mine to resold it in 2 months. I had it for 2 weeks... not trying to put it down just saving you some time.
Go to eCoustics.com. You can find reviews of the MF there. One does a comprison between the 3.24 and a Bel Canto DAC.

From what the reviews say it leans toward the warm side.
Well thank you very much for all the inputs!
Its really hard getting one on hand but that might be the only way. I have a Meridian Transport so that should not be an excuse by any means if the dac does not suit me, well I guess I have to try to get one and listen from away if possible.

I have heard some older dac and found them more musically satisfying than some newer fancy upsampling dac's so.........for example the original Goldmund DAC was just incredible and still very pricy.

Just a small not when I mean warm sounding, I dont mean DEAD like my former Audio Note external DAC (I tried 2 dac' and was not impressed so), a very dull sounding DAC with pretty much no resolution as an excuse to call in warmer and analog like when you are pretty much loosing the essentials of the goal of the DAC.

If it sounds anything like a Theta Gen V or so, I can easily live happily ever after, thanks again and keep them comming

Rapogee
Sam Tellig likes lean and smooth sounding gear.

MF gear of that period tends to sound lean. Sam likes lean.

MF gear of that period tends to sound smooth i.e. lacking in rough or abbrasive qualities without any sense of sibilance or grain, but possibly at the expense of resolution. Sam likes smooth.

Judging from the above, it's not hard to see why Sam and others might like this product. Having said that, the MF products from this time period tend to lack body, warmth and PRAT. They are a step up from many of the lifeless sounding SS alternatives out there, but they aren't really all that musically accurate. You get the sense of high resolution because it sounds lean and clean, but the music lacks weight, emotion and inner-detail.

This is kind of like comparing the natural beauty, warts and all, of a gorgeous and lively woman to that of an air-brushed model. They both look good on the surface, but one is kind of glossed over, artificially primped and lacking in the reality factor whereas the other is the real deal with less gloss, hype and artificiaity to their beauty. As such, you can do worse than MF gear, but you can also do better. Sean
>

PS... MF gear is NOT warm. The warmth region lies between the bass and midrange regions of reproduction. Added warmth gives a bigger, full-bodied sound that tends to sound lush on the typical digital recordings but thick on good quality analogue recordings. As such, too many people confuse a lack of glare i.e. smoothness with that of being "warm". They are NOT the same thing.