amp for B &W 801

bought new 801s. Was told I need a high power ss amp to run them well. True? Wanted to get tube monblocks instead. should I do tube or ss? What brands/models work best with my speaker?
johntinear
These are great classic speakers but they always did seem a bit harsh and analytical with many solid state amps. As a compramise you might also try a digital amp like the Spectron Musician, which has qualities of a hybrid amp at 250 watts/ch.
I have 801s powered by Krell KAS 2s. They have been a great combination. I agee that with 801s you need a good damping factor which will stear you toward a solid state amp.
B&Ws have wild impedance curve - W - probably very few tube amps that can do it justice - look for SS amps that weight as much as they do!
First amp to give it an auditon is Aragon 2/8008 or 2/8008BB run bi-amp?!? If not good enough for your 801 and the rest of your system try something more exp like krell KAS then Levinson'll come to rescue. Rute.
While I have not heard it, some people on this site say the Wolcott Presence Monblocks can handle a speaker load like the 801. When I get around to auditioning amps for my 802N the Wolcott is on the list as a tube candidate. - Cheers, Dan.