Why pay "more" for USED??

Ok, I know you must be thinking this thread is titled wrong, but I just came across an Ebay ad where a pair of B&W Nautilus 802's sold for $8,101 used! To make matters worse they were all screwed up. It has pics of the midrange cabinet all scratched and the ad says the tweeters are dented. I'm beside myself on how someone could spend "over" retail (N802's retail for $8k) for a pair of used speakers that are f'd up anyway. If your spending $8k on speakers don't you do some research first??
Don't believe me? Here's the ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1226445468
mcoker
Some guy was just recently selling a pair of Nautilus 803s on eBay that he claims he paid something like $6600 for new. His "buy it now" price was the $5000 new list price. It was not a dealer, just a dishonest person.
I check out E-Bay sometimes as well as some other auction sites in regard to this insane hobby of ours. I think this site is the best hands down! However, I would like to add the following. Even on this site, there are those who simply want too much for there gear. I don't want to get into trouble with anyone, so I won't be specific. But right now on this site in nearly every category, there are asking prices that are actually offensive in my opinion. The best advice I can give to you all is this: Don't even respond to the seller. Just ignore there auction or classified ad, and they'll get the point soon enough. I realize that it is the right of the "seller" to ask for any price they want, but it is also your right as the "buyer" to beware and ignore a ridiculous if not laughable ad/auction when your experienced eyes see one.
you guys just dont get it: used speakers, like used jeans have a certain history about them and to some buyers that look or 'feeling' is more valuable. apparently jean companies whip jeans with belts and straps to get them looking 'used' in the right way. i plan to beat the living shit out of my new Oracle Delphi to get that 'once-owned-by-a-rock-star look) and expect to really clean up on ebay when i post it there later this week. i'll let you guys know!
Their was a seller with (zero) and sunglass's on Ebay, just a few weeks ago that was listing the $850.00 (retail) Gallo two speaker, passive sub and two speaker stands setup for $1500.00. This week it's back again, on sale for less, (what an A-hole).
I'm sure you all are familiar with the psychology of gambling. The competitive bidding frenzy on ebay causes an adrenalin rush, and a true addict will keep bidding up the price, even beyond the list price, in order to "win" and beat the competition. It work in Vegas, why not on ebay?
I love it when 2 buyers get into a bidding war over one of my auctions. Check out how many auctions are now on Audiogon vs Dealer Demos. I'm not the only one hoping to incite a little bidding frenzy.