Red Rose R3s vs. Proac 1sc vs. Dynaudio 1.3SE

I'm considering new speakers for my home office. I'd like small speakers with a big sound and don't want to include a sub. Current system: Linn Ikemi, Plinius 8150. I have yet to audition any of the three monitors listed but all seem to claim great sound with solid bass. Recommendations please. Joel
joeldoss
I have not heard the three you list, but I would add the
Sonus Faber Concertos. They are just under 2K new (plus stands) and sound phenomenal for little speakers. For small speakers, they have really good bass.
The ProAc 1SC is our first choice from the three that you have inquired on. However, we have not heard the R3, but the 1.3SE might be too dry with your system. The Tablette 2000 (in the ProAc line) should also work well, being your least expensive choice, to meet your criteria. As a precaution with ProAc speakers, they don't match well with Kimber Kable (i.e. a tendency to be on the bright side), as something to consider if you have or are planning to use Kimber in your system.

There are others that we would recommend as well, and we're sure others would agree. The Merlin TSM-SE, Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors, and although they are large, expensive ($11,500), stand mount speakers, the Talon Peregrine are full-range (19Hz[!]-25kHz) monitors, that will handle 1000 watts.

Our favorite choice to meet your criteria is from Voce Divina. With uniquely superb looks, in a choice of decadent finishes for the monitors, the Soprano/Baritone combination (i.e. minimonitors and bass speaker stands) will give you a full-range (20Hz-25kHz) sound that most floorstanding models cannot match. Build quality is second to none.
I like the way my ProAc Tablette 50 Signatures sound with my Simaudio Moon I-5. A much bigger sound than I anticipated. Since the Plinius 8150 has more power I would recommend the ProAc Response 2. If you have no objection to purchasing a used set of speakers, they can be found here in the classifieds for about $1300. Better bass than the smaller ProAcs but also a manageable size.

Good luck!
Red Rose R3 by far! I heard all the above mentioned speakers. The R3 is by far the better choice. Finesse and dynamic at the same time. Real good texture to the sound. By far the best small speaker I've heard so far.