new system for beginner

i am not terribly familar with hi quality stereo equipment. i am looking to build my first system though. i am mostly interested in buying used quality equipment. i do not have a lot of room to fill and i only listen to cds. i am wondering what the good brands are to with. speakers are the area of most concern and i haveno idea what to look for. if this is too novice of a thread i understand. my knowledge is limited and i have to start somewhere. thanks for any help.
massey
Considering your room size and musical tastes you might start by trying to audition a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signatures (large floor standers) to see if you like their sound (these can often be had for $800 or so used, though freight will be high). Anyway you go though you will get more bang for the buck with a good integrated amp. My favorite used CD player is a bit dated, but to me sounds better than any of the new budget players that I have auditioned as it has a very full low end and smooth highs. This is the CAL Icon MKII. This same model with the power boss upgrade (more expensive) would also work well with the Vandersteens as they can handle the added detail of the upgrade without sounding bright. I have only listened to the Vandersteens with more expensive amps and do not have a recommendation for a high powered but low cost (used) integrated as the ones that I am familiar with probably do not have enough power for your room size. I can think of quite a few other floor standing speakers in the same price range, but the Vandersteens will give you big sound for Jazz and Rock. If you were to end up with the CAL Vandersteen combo a pair of the cheap Homegrown Audio solid core silver IC's would be a nice match, if your room is not too bright as they are a bit forward sounding which will offset the opposite of the CAL and the Vandersteens. I have listened to the CAL and Homegrown IC's (both mine) with these speakers, though with a Bryston amp and a Marantz 7C vintage preamp and was very impressed with the sound in a large room, thus the recommendation of these specific items. Auditioning these speakers will also give you a good base to compare others to (like to see if you can get by with the bass, not as much, offered by moniters and such). I also use the CAL player as the transport for a Bel Canto DAC in our living room setup and recently used the CAL solo when the DAC was away for upgrades, and it sounded good.
Dekay, I will echo your Vandersteen 2C recommendation. Anyone looking to start a system should at least listen to these speakers. They are an incredibly good value for a full range speaker. They are a little warmer than neutral and not the most immediate or detailed, but they have no obvious irritating weaknesses, the bass response goes amazingly low for this price range, they are exceptionally easy to drive (and do very well with modest tube amps). Overall, these speakers are very listenable and will form a great foundation for a very musical and satisfying sound system.
Thanks for the second, Rushton. I did not realize that they were that efficient, which if Massey likes the sound brings the total system cost down quite a bit. I prefer monitors myself in our living room, which is just to say that we all have are personal preferences but after hearing Garfish and other's mention these speakers in the threads I got curious and set up a demo. I have also auditioned the Model 5's and a pair of older 3's (think that was it) since then. All were very impressive in their given (retail) price ranges and were great on Jazz cuts.
I don't recall how efficient the Vandersteens are, Dekay, but when I owned a pair years ago, I ran them with my vintage Marantz 9's set in their 35 watt triode mode and lived quite happily with that combination for a number of years. The 2C's have a very benign impedance load and Richard Vandersteen originally designed them with tube amplifiers in mind. I finally sold my Vandersteens to buy a pair of Celestion SL700's (going back to the mini-monitor route) for improved soundstaging and resolution of inner detail. But the full-range dynamic sound of the Vandersteen 2C's is hard to beat. Particularly at the price you can get tem used.
I would chime in on the Vandersteen/CAL combo which would leave you $1K for amplification. You could do a lot worse than a McCormack DNA 0.5 power amp for about $600-$700 and then an Adcom or NAD pre-amp. Of course, that would leave you without cables, so maybe you should stick to an integrated from Creek or NAD. The good thing about these "classics" is they will loose little or no value if they are not abused. I would NOT agree with the comment that they are efficent. They are easy to drive in the sense that they have a uniform impedence and sound good with a wide variety of electronics. They are very musical and definately can benefit from a more forward cable like the homegrown. BTW, I am running Vandy 2cis with a McCormack and have used them with a variety of less expensive electronics and they always make music (not super detailed which can be an advantage if you have a more modest source and electronics).