Which small but great monitors?

I want to upgrade my small HT system in my bedroom, where I currently have Boston Acoustics VRM 60's and VRM-C for front and center speakers. The size of these speakers is right, smallish but not micro-monitors, but the sound for music or FM is not up to my standards (I use Proac Response 1SC's and Genesis 500's in other systems). I am considering upgrading to Coincident Triumphs, Spendor 3/1's, Soliloquy 5.0's, or ?? The size of the speakers I've listed is perfect for the Sound Anchor stands I already have (8" x 11" minimum footprint, height not crucial). And the price of these is around the $1000 mark for a pair. I know I love the Spendor sound because years ago I had BC-3's. I've never heard a small Spendor, though. I've heard great things about Coincident and think the cabinet work is beautiful. Has anybody heard any of these options against one another, or solo? Any recommendations focusing on audio performance rather than TV sound are welcome and will help me figure out where to go. I can listen to the Soliloquies and the Spendors at one dealer's, but can't find Coincidents around here (Wash. DC). Also--any other recommendations in this size and price range (around $1000-1200 for a pair)?
sc53
You will probably get some excellent suggestions from others, so I will limit my comments to three monitors that I have owned. For about a year, I owned a pair of Coincident Triumph Signatures. They are a very well made and efficient speaker (said to be suitable for use with lower-powered tube amps), with excellent cabinetry, but I found myself only satisfied, rather than really pleased, with them. I subsequently sold them to a colleague (for $500, so he got a good buy) who has been using them for about 6 months. He has recently decided to sell them, saying that he can't really get excited about them. (FYI, I was using a solid state amp, and he has been using a tube amp). So, for the two of us, we'd say the speaker is a decent one, but not great (particularly given the competition at this price point).

The other monitor that I have owned and been very pleased with is a brand that not many audiophiles have heard: the Pyramid MET-7.7, which is designed and sold by Richard Sequerra, one of the major figures in high-end audio. The MET-7.7 is a small but outstanding monitor that has absolutely terrific imaging and soundstaging characteristics, and they can be purchased online directly from Dick Sequerra. The MET-7's I had were an earlier version, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. After I eventually sold them several years later, I came to regret my decision. Here is a link to a review of the MET-7.7's, which contains a link to Sequerra Associates:
http://www.planethifi.com/planethifi6/may99met771.htm

If you decide to consider an inexpensive monitor that performs much better than its $600 retail price would suggest, listen to the Krix Equinox (made in Australia). I have been using a pair of these speakers in my office system, and I like them a lot. They don't have much bass, but not many moderately priced monitors do. However, they are very clean, with a well balanced tonal quality that does a particularly good job in the critical mid-range. Krix designed their speakers to have good audio quality but also be compatible with HT systems, and I think they have done a commendable job in reaching their design objectives.

The other monitor speakers I suggest you consider are those made by PSB, which offer excellent value for the money, and those made by Reynaud and Triangle. I'll let the others who post provide some other suggestions.
Another option might be Epos M12 (or ES-11 or 14). These are about in the price range and image very well, and there are quite a few dealers around.
In my first post, I listed a link to a review of the Pyramid MET-7.7 monitor speakers. If you want to go directly to the Sequerra Web site, here's the link:
http://www.sequerra.com/electronics/data/index.html

I noted in looking at the Sequerra Web site that the price of the MET-7.7's is now $1100. They are still a fine speaker at this price, as you will see when you read about the quality that goes into their manufacture.
Second the SdCampbell recco's of Krix Equinox (AMAZING SPEAKER, HIGH SENSITIVITY), Reynaud (awesome speaker as well, just make sure to break it in right!), and Triangle Commete (best speaker I've ever heard for the price...period). For a little more money, look at the upper end Neat monitors as well, and if you ever want to upgrade them, you can add the Gravitas subs, which double as stands (very cool stuff). Cheers!