Rap music on high-end speakers

Hello,

I have audiophile taste in gear, but not in music. I listen to rap music, and occansionaly R&B. Is there anyone out there like me? What do you listen for when buying gear? I was wondering what are the benefits in getting better gear? I want to upgrade the speakers to either proac response 3.8 or wilson cubs. Here is my system:

Levinson No.23
aranov ls-9000
Platinum audio reference 2
Paradigm servo 15
kimber speaker wire
esoteric component wires
amc cdm7
tru
Tru- Sorry if I came across as offensive, I thought you were kidding. If you want highs in your eyes and bass in your face, go for some Klipsch speakers, and use your sub, that would give you the sound you are looking for-I think?? And the only reason they use good gear to record that stuff and to play it back on in studios is that is what is already there, they are not going to make there own 'thug' recording studio. If there was a cheaper way for them to do it I am sure they would. Enjoy it!
Tru, my exposure to rap is tiny -- but, I'll chime in. Analysis: You need a mighty and controlled low-end and (some at least) low-mid precision, to reproduce computer generated bass and percussion. You also need mid-range clarity in order to follow what is being said. The upper register (over 13kHz) may not be critical -- but always good to have in order to distinguish the provenance of sound effects and of rythmics elements.

SO, fast ebough speakers (for rythmic effects), good midrange, spl tolerance, and control to at least 40-50Hz. B&W, Audio Physic, Klipsch, Tannoy maybe, Egglestone, active ATC -- the big offerings...
...however, you may find many of these good but performers but too "POLITE". Also may be unnecessarily expensive.

ALTERNATIVELY, a smaller model of the above coupled with a good sub could do the trick for you!

Your ears and involvement will decide when you audition: are you rapping along or not?
Tru, speakers are the hardest part of the audio chain to recommend. You are probably younger than most of those who have responded. I do not believe anyone should be criticized for their tastes in music. I don't like classical because it bores me to tears. I would never think of slamming someone because they like classical. I think Onhwy61 gave you very good advise. Also,Get out and hear as many speakers that you can. People have been telling me for years that Dylan can't sing. Tom Waits can't sing. Well, all I can say is they are music to these ears. Good hunting. Hang in there. Don't worry about the snobs. You are the only one you have to please.
Hey folks, Do ya know that Miles Davis was rappin' too?
I have a few rap albums also and I do believe that midrange reproduction in rap is realy more important than bass for the critical listening. There is a rap where you can distinguish words and realise that there is a piece of poetry down there!
Based upon some of the above posts, it seems that many audiogoners believe a certain type of "music" is not worthy of hi-rez playback. Do I detect a certain stench? Is it possible that those protesting most loudly have systems that can't handle the bass dynamics and rhythmic agility required for hip/hop. Maybe those with their glass driven planars or stand mounted mini monitors should stick to music by DWM or maybe that TAS disc with the dulcimer.