RR Copland CD speaker killer?

I am wondering if someone with some know-how would like to guess what my technical problem is. I have Aerial Model 6's. When I play the Fanfare for the Common Man from the RR Copland CD the field drum makes my speakers crackle (that's the best word to describe the sound, which seems to come from the tweeter?!). This phenomena happened while the speakers were being driven by my old 300 watt amp (McIntosh) and still my new Rowland Concentra (the 100 watt version). So is it the amp clipping or is the speaker taking in too much power to try to reproduce the drum, even from the Concentra? (I am not sure what kind of peaks it can produce). As a test I did listen to my disk with headphones, and it does not crackle. At lower levels it also does not crackle on the speakers. I am talking normal listening levels here, as well; nothing ear splitting by any means. So are the speakers wimpy or what? This is the ONLY recording (out of many "heavy duty spectacular" types)I have that can make these speakers do this...any ideas?
jimmy2615
Sean, thanx for your kudos. The reason I went in the direction that I did was because he stated that the noise was coming from his tweeters. Of course, you know how hard it is to diagnose something that you can't hear, so we're kind of running in the dark. Stehno says that he has heard the 6's break up pretty early on the bass, too. Could be that. But, if the noise really is coming from his tweeters, then he's clipping, no matter what the db level is. Whatever, the siuation might be, I'd say it's a bad combination of amp/speaker at best.
Another possibility of why this could happen is a low preamp/source level. This would account for the amp having to drive alot of power trying to hit normal listening levels. You could tell this right away if you have to turn up the volume knob quite high to get normal volume. The opposite could also be possible. If the source level is too high for the preamp input section, it might overload the preamp input on a high peak, thereby causing a distortion in the preamp that is passed on the the amp and then the speaker. You could tell this right away by not having to turn the volume knob up very much at all to get normal listening levels. Give us some more info, Jimmy.
Twl, i doubt that it is the source overloading the preamp, as this would evidence itself at any volume setting. It would be passed down the line as lack of detail and separation of notes with everything sounding smeared.

The part about non-linear gain could hold water though and come into play with the gain curve of the preamp or power amp. Hopefully, both of those devices are linear enough that this is not a major factor. Otherwise, one would have a heightened sense of the system sounding OVERTLY dynamic on any music that varied intensity levels to a noticeable degree. Some people might think that this was initially great as you would experience a heightened sense of impact and slam upon dynamic transients, but i think that it would come across as being un-natural in the long run.

If Jimmy is up to it, he can simply unscrew the tweeter and disconnect one of the wires going to it. If the noise continues, he's obviously expecting too much from the woofer. If the noise disappears, that would mean that the tweeter is the source. As such, he'd probably be clipping the amp pretty hard or something in the high frequency circuitry is defective and crying out for help. Sean
>
I have this cd as well, and auditioned it on 10 different systems, full-range Watt/Pupps etc. It is in the cd...it bothered me for awhile as I thought a tube was to fault in my preamp...not so.
Sean, the source input could be within acceptable limits, except for real strong peaks like this one, and still sound fine normally. Overload only on strong peaks can happen. It may or may not be the case here though. In fact, since we don't know any more than what we've been told, we really aren't sure what it is, yet. Also, if it is in the CD like Keithr says, then we're all barking up the wrong tree anyway. But, I enjoy trying to figure problems out like this, it's fun. And if there really is no problem and it's on the CD, it's a lot better for Jimmy than to have something wrong with his system.