How grills affect?

I've purchased grills for my Totem Forest speakers to keep my little boy's hands away from the drivers. Somehow I've realized that the grills didn't degrade the sound but even otherwise. How did that happen? Please share your experiences.
128x128marakanetz
The Thiel CS1.5 grille is unique in that it actually has a sizeable rounded wood frame which gives the front of the speaker ALL of its anti-diffraction properties. In other words, without the grilles in place, the front of the speaker has no rounded corners at all. The Thiel CS2.3s are not like this and I'm sure that very few speaker grilles are designed this way. I never thought about it but the CS1.5 would be a good speaker to experiment with to see if the rounded shape actually makes an audible difference. I have my CS1.5s set up as my main speakers right now so I will try to do this experiment and post some results in the next day or two.
I have the Dunlavy SC-V (s) and there is no question that the speakers sound more definitive with the grills off.
This has been an interesting thread, and I seem to have been brainwashed by the Vandersteen position re grillcloths. Of course on the Vand. 2C/3A speakers, the grills can't be removed anyway. But I now have the V5s and tonight I'll take the "hoods" of and see what happens. Cheers. Craig
Where can I get some acoustically transparent cloth to replace grilles on some 20 year old speakers?
Art