Sub-woofers to go with Quad 988 / 989 ?

Does anybody know of a really good sub-woofer that integrates well with the Quad 988 / 989 ?
mbonn
Check out the Art Of Sound Tycus, or Maximus sub. They even work with difficult speakers like Maggies, and etc. Their site is http://www.artofsound.net
I'm using a REL Stadium III. It works great with the Quad 988s, at least. The REL subs integrate well, and have power and finesse. Actually, though, in many rooms, you won't need a sub at all -- unless you just want to rattle floors and walls.
get yourself a good, sealed front firing sub w/ cutoff somewhere @ 100hz. i disagree w/ rel and other down firing subs as they're muddied per the downward firing driver..takes away the staging and the imaging (yes, bass images). good ones that come to mind are used entecs and audio physics rhea

i am using a pair of entecs w/ merlin vsm-ms (as fast as stats) to great effect. no other sub worked per the reasons above.

rhyno
Rhyno: I owned the Merlins VSM-SEs and used a REL Stadium II with them. The sound was seamless and gorgeous.

Have you actually heard a REL set up correctly? And, no, bass doesn't image. You cannot tell where frequencies in the 20-60 Hertz range originate. Show me scientific papers that support your claim.
The only reason front firing subs would have an advantage is at higher crossover frequencies. Otherwise, when crossing at say 80Hz and down, downfiring subs will certainly not sound "muddied" if they are designed and built properly. RELs and ACIs are some of the most musical subs out there. Used properly.