Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I have a buddy in London with an L5 that is trading up to a Big7 very soon. He has a BMC PureDac as his backup Dac (my recommedation to him as an inexpensive backup for when he sent his L5 back for modding caps) and he says "it sounds good, but it aint no Lampi).

I spoent 6 hours at AL place this July listing to his 4 Dacs, one of which was a Big7. It sounded so stunningly real to me that I am going to trade up to.

To each his own ears

Jafox, I am on the hunt for Vintage tubes to roll in The B7. I will get Psavane 101ds, but will try Cunningham 345s/RCA 245 globes and also will roll the recti with 5U4gs and maybe try the WE replica 274Bs from China.
Stereotimes review conclusion on the PureDac:
Conclusion
The PureDAC deviates slightly from neutral with a sweet and richer midrange presentation. It has good bass and treble. Soundstaging, imaging and resolution were above average in absolute terms. In context of its asking price, the PureDAC has outstanding performance and it's shortcomings are only obvious when directly compared to the much more expensive equipment I had on hand. Evaluated in isolation, it is immensely likable.
Consider also that the PureDAC is not just a DAC - it is a capable preamp and balanced headphone amp. De-clutter your system by removing two additional boxes, two power cords, two interconnects, and two shelves ! Add a modest price tag (S$ 2,200 in Singapore) to that, and you have an absolute winner.
Wisnon,
Thanks for the heads up to Stereo Times which reviewed the BMC PureDac very positively, making it a very big bang for the buck.

I also chanced upon another product reviewed in Oct 2012, the Memory Player 64 from Laufer Teknik. At about $17k, it is a one-box solution that includes transport and DAC for redbook CD's and hi-res files. This is another fascinationg product for the shoot-out list.

There is also a very positive review by, er, Positive Feedback at the link below :-

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue65/memoryplayer.htm

Happy reading, all. :)
If the $1800 BMC PureDAC sounds so good, how much better is their top model, the $4,900 BMC DAC1? Anyone heard it?
Mitch2, I had the Dac1 and had the updated USB modification. I think the PureDac is far better but, of course, needs a preamp for other inputs.