proac 2.5 vs 1sc/sub

just wondered if anyone has compared the 2.5s vs a 1sc/rel sub combination. i have some 2.5s that i love but may need to downsize to a smaller room and setup secondary to a baby issue...
locust19
thanks for everyone's input...i'll probably end up keeping the 2.5s even though i have to move them to a smaller room. all the reviews that i have read on the 1 sc where wonderful and i thought downsizing might be a good choice--it would probably pointless by the time i purchase stands and the sub anyway..thanks again
Hi Locust ... I think you made a good decision ... every time you trade equipment you usually lose a bunch of money. If you ever get a convenient opportunity to home demo a good sub then I'd try it, even in a small room, even with the 2.5s. I can't say for sure you'll like it, but you might be surprised how much it can add, even in a small room, even with 2.5s. If you listen exclusively to chamber music or small scale jazz then I'd expect that a sub wouldn't make much difference, but with large orchestral and most rock/pop it can be quite surprising.
I have 2.5s and a REL Strata III subwoofer in an 11 x 13.5 room. I am running the REL off my amp and the speakers full range. I love it and would only consider ever changing speakers if amp changes made it necessary. I would only change the REL by ungrading to one of their larger models. It's a phenomenal pc of music making equipment. Actually, same thing for the ProAcs. I may be prejudiced but I think the 2.5 is a classic that we will be loving 10 yrs from now. I've had them over 5 yrs and still sit and admire 'em!
I have proac3.5s, with atmasphere amps. I recently bought the Rel Strata. I find it to be a very good combo. The new room I built just seemed to suck all the bass out of my system. The Rel sub seems to blend in so well after careful setup, you dont know its there.
Mike
This thread has pretty much played itself out, but I’ll add my .02 just because after an awful lot of speaker purchases, I finally settled on the 2.5’s for a main system, and 1SC’s /w sub for a second system. I’ve had both of these rigs going for a while, and am very pleased. The 1SC definitely needs a sub, so as a practical matter, they’ll cost the same as used 2.5’s. I have read opinions which claim the 1SC to be better than the 2.5 in some way or another, but frankly I am wary of these sources as I have always found the 2.5 to be a far better speaker in every department. Mine are in a medium sized room, and definitely don’t need to be subbed. I agree that the 2.5 is/will be something of a classic, and I say this having no regrets forking over full retail for the 1SC’s which I think is a fantastic speaker.