Why Veneer?

Something i always wondered about

It seems like most speakers are made of partical board with "Real wood Veneer" wraped around it.

Why?

Why not make speaker out of Cherry or Oak? Why always particalboard with Veneer?

Do regular woods have terrible acoustic properties or something?
slappy
We created a particular cast marble formula Slappy, for our enclosures.

The phenolic board is definitely really stiff- and if one could afford to try it as a hobbyist, you might not want to then spend another $1500 on the table saw required. I can't remember the best adhesive for it- maybe a type of superglue. It has no pores for wood glues to soak into, nor for epoxy to grip...

Glad you guys appreciate the info. I couldn't see any way to give you that without supporting my claims- too much non-validated (unvalidated?) logic floating around in the audio world, and the better-informed the listener, the better the gear will need to become, right?

Have you guys read the interview with RCA's Jack Pfeiffer on the Classic Records website? Great info from probably the world's most experienced recording engineer. Here is the link: http://classicrecords.com/jack.htm

Best,
Roy
Actually, the "cost" of building a speaker cabinet has nothing to do with the use of MDF. The fact is that some of the finest and most expensive loudspeakers in the world use MDF, many of which are built on a "cost no oject" basis.
To Roy Johnson

All I can say is that I am really impressed with your knowledge of the properties of wood, wood composites and adhesives. Other than a brief listen to, can't remember the model, at the 94 Stereophile show at the Miami Hilton with VAC electronics, I haven't heard your speakers. Your response really makes me want to. Though I am EXTREMELY satisfied with my current speaker, I am really curious about your designs and ideas in cabinet construction, nice post man!