European -vs- US high-end

How would you characterize the differences between European and US high-end?
slawney
Solen caps are nice and their prices are competitive
and the Oracle TT was once (almost) SOTA. Thats all, except for those Sean has mentioned, that I can think of. Cheers,
Interesting thread & posts -- got me thinking. Until now I associated "US sound" as plush, euphonic (good bass), with detail but avoiding the overanalytical. Particularly with speakers, as Sean mentioned. European "sound" was associated with speed, fast transient attack (think of S-Line, YBA, etc), precision & rigour (& engineering) ad nauseam (Burmester, Goldmund, FM acoustics etc) -- and seemingly voiced for classical rather than all types of music. Also add a penchant for reproducing sounds in the MHz region (Tannoy's super tweets, Piega, Detlof's poisonous gas-filled ones, etc) -- were 2MHz possible, we would try to sell it.
Reading the posts, I find my impressions were based on brands -- indeed, not a "national" sound.

Of course, the english knack for creative compromise (using brain power to produce nice-sounding gear at cheapo construction price) is indisputable, I beleive.

Re, Canadian: aren't Tenor & Verity canadians?
I agree with Phild. I'd go as far as to make a broad statement that if your budget is $1000 or less per component then European, particularly British equipment is your best bet. It seems that US companies are more interested in the higher end of the market, though there are many European companies also in this segment.
Another key difference is the size of rooms which are driven. Hence European hifi is generally lower power .... and with lower power it's much less expensive to get good audio quality. I'd never go back to a large room ... it's just too much trouble.
On a more somber note ...
If everyone were hifi buffs then perhaps Europe and the US would have a better political relationship at the moment. The current sniping between European and US media and politicians saddens me greatly.
Sean T, the Europeans do not realise sufficiently the shock which was caused by 11th Sept. in your country and how you feel threatened by further attacks, possibly by weapons of mass destruction. The politics your governement is implementing, seems to follow quite naturally and logically from this scenario with the goal of protecting the US from attack. Obviously, the Europeans feel less threatened and hence plead for caution. After all, harsh action would upset their trade deals with Iran and Iraq for that matter and would put them even more in a tight spot than they are in now, if under obligation of the NATO treaty they had to spend more money for armaments and their military. Furthermore, the US have learnt in the Balcan war, that you cannot fight a war according to their doctrine, if you have to consult all the time with European politicians. That's why they are left out in the cold now and they don't like it. Shall we give them all Krells, Rowlands and ARC gear, so they'll shape up???
Re the Canadain stuff. Don't forget SimAudio and the late Sonic Frontiers. Then there's Anthem and Paridigm. Also Energy and Mirage speakers.
Perhaps what Natalie meant was that Canadian gear was superior in value to U.S. and european due to the low dollar value.
Cheers Steve