Question for Ex-Maggie Owners

Hello
Im curious to know what made you decide to change.
Im sure you, like most of us, change components for the sake of something new or a different "flavor" but was there
something that you grew to dislike as time went by with your Maggies.
Thanks for help,
Emil
emil
Back in 1976 I bought Tympani I-C's after selling my
Bose 901's (I know, I know....) They were fabulous, but
I was overcome a few years later with upgradeitis, and
sold them. About 10 years and a few speaker systems
later I bought Magnepan MG-IIIA's which I owned for about
eight years. A few other speakers later I bought Magnepan
1.6QR's which I still own. My next upgrade will probably
be 3.6R's. I've owned lots of speakers, but keep coming
back to the Maggies. There's magic in them panels........
Started off in this madness with Maggie SMGa's and went to the 1.4's. Went to Thiels, Von Schweikerts, Definitive, horns, B&W's, and maybe some others that I forgot. When I heard the 1.6 Maggies I knew I was home again. I change audio gear like changing clothes. I have had my 1.6's almost 5 years. Just sold them last weekend to upgrade to 3.6's.

Good luck.
The high frequencies were to harsh in my system. I had to cover up any piece of glass in the room.
Too tight of imaging. I had no choice but to sit in one exact place. With kids, I tend to sit on the floor or play games and listen to music. The imaging and overall sound stinks if you aren't in the "sweet spot". I also hated the inefficiency. I use single ended tubes and maggies love power.
A good friend had tympany IVs and used a pair of Aragons to bi-amp while another friend had IIs and used a pair of 600 watt modified Moscodes! Why not buy a 100 amp generator and just hook it up to them! If you are thinking of buying Maggies, just remember that you will never have enough power.
I listened to Accoustats,Martin Logans and wanted to listen to the Eminients before choosing the Maggie 1.4's.I was living in a Big Historical house and had a great big room for them.I moved into a smaller house and was forced to buy boxed speaker's and only took them out for serious listening.

I added a subwoofer and was quite happy with them until I heard NEAR's.The Near's gave you the same transparency in a box.More so even.They are not a weird load to drive which make them easier to use with amps.I now have 2 sets of NEAR's which are modified and could not be happier.

Have been retooling my system since getting the NEAR's a year ago with better equiptment.

Maggies are really difficult because they lack Bass and are room dependent in my opinion.Although if you have the $$ and the room they are my second choice in speakers.I would choose them over B&W's and Vandies I have heard lately for the same price.Would like to hear Wilsons and VMPS's to see what they can do also.

If small speakers in a small room are the only alternative you have I would not get maggies.People that like them sometimes buy them and put them in rooms I cannot imagine them being used in.

Happy hunting!