Bookshelf vs. Floorstand

What is the difference between bookshelf and floorstanding speakers. There are lots of very expensive bookshelf speakers... do they perform better than cheaper floorstands?

I know it is usually the bass that is weak for bookshelf speakers but what if you have a sub? Will that make them comparable to floorstands? Can high end book shelf speakers from say focus or sonus fill in a big room as good as say hmm... paradigm 100s?
doodleboytoyb266
I second Sean99. Subwoofer is essential. It's only a matter of ( a short) time 'til you'll realize that you're longing for what's below 40Hz. As you can see, I use a sub, as well.
Yep, same here. I use a sub/sat combo as well. Monitors with a sub allow you the flexibility to set up both independently so you can maximize the performance of each. However, finding the right place for the sub will require a lot of experimentation, and integratin gthe two isn't easy.
Just for the record I use floorstanders (Spica angelus) AND a sub !!!!! (Belt and braces). Many floorstanders only go to around 35Hz and can benefit from a good sub to fill out the really low stuff. For monitors I'd view a sub as essential.

Just out of interest do you have a budget for speaker upgrades, because then some others might be able to give actual suggestions.
Well... space is not an issue because my room is 22 x 20. I have personally compared the Sonus Cremona Auditor, Grand Piano Home, B&W 804 and Studio 60's and I should say that the Auditor creamed all of them in terms of mid range (well according to my taste). However, it does lack in bass and I figured that it can be addressed by a sub while a good mid-range comes with the speaker itself. Now what I cannot stomach are the stands - $1000 for the sexy Cremona stand! Actually I was planning to match it with a cheaper stand but hearing you guys mention how important stands are for bookshelf speakers I want to know more. Cant I match the Auditors with cheaper $100 stands? What is the net effect? Honestly I'd rather spend the $1000 for the stands on the speaker (i.e. a floorstander). For me that is better value but the mids of the Auditor are just to die for :)

Dilemma dilemma. If I go floorstander then I chooser between the 804, Grand Piano or Studio 100s. Which one???
Doodleboy ..I would go with the Grand Piano over the other two floorstanders you have mentioned.I am not a big fan of metal dome tweeters and prefer the sound of a good silk dome tweeter any day! I was auditioning the Sonus just the other day..nice speaker!