Side firing bass designs - Pros & Cons?...

In an earlier "Adiogoner" thread someone asked if anyone had heard speakers from Amphion. I quickly went to their web site to see their speakers and noticed on the Xenon model they incorporated a side firing bass design. Based on the little bit of knowledge I've picked up from more knowledgeable audiophiles it seems to me this set-up would create time and phase coherency issues not to mention sending sound waves away from the listener instead of toward them.

Are there advantages in this type of design I don't know about, because Amphion isn't the only manufacture employing this side firing woofer strategy(Israel Blum uses it)? What are the pros and cons?
128x128dawgbyte
But we should not forget the bottom line, it's our ears that do the listening regardless where we listen. In a recording studio, regardless which direction a drum is pushing air, we listen to the whole band at ONE location where you sit or stand. Recording does the same by placing microphone at some strategic locations to mimic what a listen should hear if we were there.

So speakers with side firing woofer, because of room interaction, will less likely to sound as integrated as other designs.
Lrsky, that's an interesting concept. The way I interpret it, the very act of moving a lot of air in a small space creates distortion -- call it atmospheric friction, but add eddy currents and whirls. By moving air more uniformly over a larger surface area, that distortion goes down and sounds more realistic. It sounds extremely plausible. Well done! (this is but one of many factors in the equation, and introduces more tradeoffs, but it is one more variable for consideration)
Yes,
The distortion I am quantifying is not anything like the original signal created, therefore is a whole new form of distortion. Just like harmonic distortion, or transient intermodulation distortion, in amps. But this is created by the drivers. Their amusical, and unique sound is audible, which is part of the premise. That "noise" keeps us from hearing the recording independantly. So, if distortion is defined as "any change from the original..." this is fundamental to that.
You know, I personally have always had some issues with the Maggies and the Stats, but there WAS the better parts of their reproduction that were undeniable. Also, horns, which have colorations, but do not smack the air that we can hear like a dynamic driver...so that change has SOMETHING which we all have grown accustomed to, and we just filter it out. Sort of like television. Someone made a comment to me that: audio in its own way is much more perfect than video. You can actually close your eyes and listen and imagine that you are there, but nobody ever claims that video could EVER be mistaken for the real thing. Say you put a camera on a part of a scene, and introduced the video signal into the equation, and balanced the color, brightness, and everything perfectly; you still could never, NOT NOTICE. I had to agree with them in principal. ALTHOUGH, that really kind of enforces my point about audio; in that we block out the unreal parts. I further contend that this is part of LISTENER"S FATIGUE. The harder our brain has to work to recreate the real thing (a piano through speakers versus a real piano) the more fatigued we get. This is why sometimes our system sounds poor, and other times it sounds great. We are the X factor, our brain's willingness to 'complete' that incomplete equation, or not complete it. Think back, usually when you are mentally fatigued,sometimes that's when if you try to listen, and get in that perfect groove, wherein you can 'pretend' it's real, but your brain is not willing to do so, you just end up turning it off in frustration.
So, this annoying driver 'noise' is always in evidence, we just have 'learned' to disregard it. Bass, being the most obvious of all, because of the displacement severity, was the first place I really honed in on it.
Thanks for reading.
Larry
Lrsky, just about 2 weeks ago I read an article in the news papaer (NY Times or PH Enquirer, can't remember which) which reported on a story concerning a German cable channel that transmitted a signal of a fire that was intended to replicate a fire place. Well, an elderly woman called the fire department claiming that her TV was on fire. When the firemen were interviewed they said that this happens periodoically, and recently an elderly woman threw water on her TV in an attempt to extingush her burning TV. This caused an electical fire that spread to neighboring apartments and the building had to be evacuated. I can only imagine the blazing effect HDTV is going to have! BTW, the fireman suggested that most people should be able to distingusih a real fire from a televised one.
Was any alcohol involved in that story, you know, the nightly nip? HA!
Larry