Side firing bass designs - Pros & Cons?...

In an earlier "Adiogoner" thread someone asked if anyone had heard speakers from Amphion. I quickly went to their web site to see their speakers and noticed on the Xenon model they incorporated a side firing bass design. Based on the little bit of knowledge I've picked up from more knowledgeable audiophiles it seems to me this set-up would create time and phase coherency issues not to mention sending sound waves away from the listener instead of toward them.

Are there advantages in this type of design I don't know about, because Amphion isn't the only manufacture employing this side firing woofer strategy(Israel Blum uses it)? What are the pros and cons?
128x128dawgbyte
Some of the Joseph Audio line. In fact, the designer talked about some of the issues with side firing in his Sphile interview.
Dawgbyte: I mentioned the Coincident Technology aka Israel Blume's speakers. Glad you liked that website as i'm sure it is loaded with info.

Jmcgrogan: Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure that there are other speakers out there that i overlooked. I hope nobody feels slighted if i didn't mention the brand that they are running with side firing woofers : ) Sean
>