is a subwoofer for music a good idea??

i have standmount speakers which go down to about 45-50hz.i feel my system lacks low end punch,specially at lower volumes. now i need to know if:
1. a subwoofer for music is a good idea in the first place
2. will buying a budget sub($400) really add sufficient low end
3.is there much info in music below 40 hz
4.will i lose imaging if i add a sub to my 2 channel set up

all you experts out there, plese help.
dazedandconfused
Subs and mains should not overlap. They should be set up to merge at a point where they are both 3 to 6 db down. Combining the output of the two sums them together and produces flat response. Overlap creates a big hump and sounds muddy and bloated. Keep subs crossed very low and just loud enough to contribute impact and weight as needed. Adjust phase according to placement.
Depends on the music. Some music (Classical chamber music)leaves the SW completely quiet, while some (organ music) keeps it busy. Pop/Rock benefits from a SW. Most Clasical music does not require a SW, although it is occasionally helpful.

And what frequency range are we talking about? There really isn't much below 30 Hz, so a SW that is good only from 30 Hz up, and perhaps is therefore capable of 200-300 Hz ("fast")may be a good idea. Getting the 100 Hz-and-down out of your main speakers and their amplifier is the greatest benefit.

Although some main speakers may reproduce 40 Hz, this does not always mean that they have a "full" sound in the sub 100Hz range. When you get a SW you may be discouraged that so much of the time that big expensive object it just sitting there like a rock, doing nothing. But it's like the fire department: you don't need it often, but it's nice to have on hand when needed.
Eldartford,
I think that Beethoven's 5th would benefit from sub.
Also having a vinyl playback it's also a large benefit to have a sub especially dealing with warped records.
I use mine on some music..and not on some music. Thats a great benefit IMO.

Dave
I agree with crossing over your sub as low as you can go. I want my main speakers to carry the full musical load and have my sub go where my mains cannot. My last pair of monitors (Revel M20s, just sold awaiting new monitors) were crossed over at 45Hz. Seamless. My new monitors are flat to 30 Hz!! Same size as the Revels. My sub is going to be on holiday most of the time, but when needed it'll be there....peace, warren