One big subwoofer or two weaker subwoofers?

Hello:

Do you think that, for stereo, is better to have a bigger subwoofer or a pair of weaker ones?

For example, should it better to have a pair of Rel Strata III (or the new Strata 5) or a single Stadium III?

Thank you
mavilla
There are so many issues to consider here. What is the cross-over point? What are the room modes like (2 subs make cancellation of problematic modes much easier)? Is it 2 channel or multi-channel? Here is a link to a paper we wrote on loudspeaker placement. Loudspeaker Placement on Audioholics It may answer a few of your questions--may raise a few more.
When I trying to decide which way to go, I called Sumiko, the US distributor for REL. They stated without a doubt, that one Stadium III was better than two Storm or Strata III's. I purchased a Stadium III and couldn't be happier. I'd go with a sub that has flexible cross over points. REL's go down to 22hz. I never thought I'd have my sub set as low as 23hz, but that's were it ended up. Like a previous post stated, a lot does depend on your main speakers.
One better sub is allways allways better than two of anything else equalling the same price! Assuming you do not buy too big of a sub for the room and that the one sub in it's best position in the room, provides the correct amount of bass at the listening position! This sometimes is not possable no matter how big the sub is in which case two (in mono!) will smooth out the room nodes. Stereo subs is an absolute joke and shows no knowledge of how bass loads a room. Stereo bass with evenly placed subs will just cancel out the bass at the listening position period. TAS covered this topic perfectly a few issues back so the statements I make can be proven by those who should know.
How about two big subs instead of two small subs or one big sub? If you want low frequencies with authority, you can't do that with a small box and keep things "tight" with good transient response : ) Sean
>
i would agree with Sdcampbell and Sugarbrie, it's the quality that counts. I have had a REL subwoofer in the past and they are very good, and imo, one of the best out there. For audio, i never heard a subwoofer that I liked with a bigger than a 10" woofer (some had multiple woofers). imo, the best speakers that i have heard had 10" or less woofers (most have multiple smaller (10" or less) woofers).