Merlin Room at 2004 HE Show in NY

If anyone is going to the 2004 Home Entertainement Expo in NY this weekend (5/21~23), could you please report on how the Merlin room sounds with its new VSM-MX speakers? I understand they will be showing with Joule-Electra and JPS Labs cables.

I have the MXs on order and want to get some comparative feedback from the show goers since I can't attend. Comparisons with VSM-Ms, Kharmas, or any other top-class speakers (or room comparisons) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
henry_la
I apologize for not keeping an eye on this thread...

Spencer, hopefully you join us next year. I didn't get much insight on Lloyd's plan for a lower cost TT, but he let me know as I was leaving last month's "unofficial" meeting. As he is intending on attending as many of our functions as he is able, I am sure you will run into him sooner or later. Otherwise, why not shoot him an e - mail or phone call?

Henry_la, the system in which the Merlin sounded so good to me is owned by a gentleman named Mark, and I believe he lurks these parts. It is basically the same system Spencer has - Merlin speakers, Berning ZOTL power amplifier, Joule Electra preamp, with a Cary CD player(Spencer may have a different front end). The sound was more lifelike than I think I have ever been around, and more than I had come to believe possible in a hifi system. There was no hint of bloat or fatness, as I noticed in the Merlin room. The Merlin room was the same dimensions as most on the 6th floor it was on. I am guessing now, but I would say maybe 10' X 15'? Perhaps, someone can give a better estimate...
Hi Trelja,
The room was 13 by 18 feet.
Just wondering, did you ever have a seat and listen to a few piecces of music or were you standing near the back wall or in the passage way? The bass was loading in these areas.
There were only two pieces of music (during the entire show) that beat on the room resonant frequency to any degree. I hope that you were not in the room when these were being played.
Thanks for the kind words and please, introduce yourself next time.
Regards,
Bobby
Thanks for your response, Bobby. Actually, I did introduce myself to you. We attended on Friday. I mentioned to you that we were involved in a thread on Audio Asylum a couple of months ago, regarding the "coldness" of Merlins, which I found to be way off base.

I stayed in the rear half of the room, and the sound was a bit ripe for my tastes. Your explanation seems valid.

Once again, the sound I heard in February was the finest sound I have ever encountered from a loudspeaker. It transcended what I had come to think was possible from a stereo system. You deserve a lot of credit for turning me into a Merlin lover, and wanting to someday own a pair. As many know here, I am not so quick when it comes to praise for a lot of audio equipment.
Hi Trelja,
I do remember you!
Standing in the back of the room would explain why you heard the system sound ripe. When seated, the speakers played in a very balanced manner, at least, IMHO.
Your comments are very kind so please stay in touch so that I may keep you abreast of product developments.
Regards,
Bobby@merlin
if you guys think the merlin room sounded good at the show,wait till you set them up at home, I heard a pair of Mx's with the Berning 270 at a friends house ,i think it blew away anything at the show..cant wait to upgrade my M to Mx.
Bobby you are the best..