Von Schweikert VR-4,Jr.

Was anyone else as impressed by these speakers at HE 2004 as I was? I thought their performance was stupendous, and can only wonder what the bigger models sound like.
gladstone
I didn't like the show demo anymore than TRELJA in terms of style, but thought the speaker was superb. The speaker played music not geopolitical diatribes. Fortunately a local dealer has them, allowing me to listen for good long while with less expensive front end and amplification equipment. In addition to any music I wanted. I still liked them to the point were I would seriously consider upgrading my San Diego made VR2s because they had much cleaner sound detail and dynamics. For the price an even more captivating speaker was the new Hyperion which we said was the show's biggest surprise.
In response to which wire to utilize and bi-wiring options on the VR-4jr:

The best sonics will come from either bi-wiring or single wiring to the M/T cabinet then jumping down to the bass module.

This eliminates the extra connections when using the data-link cable and eliminates the jumper bar. These are very revealing speakers, those extra connections are audible even if the data-link and the jumper bars were the best cable available.

If you are already utilizing some very reavealing wire, the jumper bar and data-link will inhibit performance.

Now there is also a tonal balance difference between bi-wiring and jumping the cabinets. Bi-wiring may make the bass cabinet seem louder leaving you with a warmer sound.

----

These speakers are smoooooth. If you hear what you may describe as grain, it's extra connections using the jumper-bar and data-link. And always connect to the M/T first.
Products made in China have a little just a small part of how much a product retails for.

You know that coffee cup you bought in Starbucks for 10.99

You know that toaster you bought

Sunfire, Velodyne, Revel, McIntosh,all made in China
I have been told that the JR has a more recessed sound than the VR4SE, with voices sounding a bit back. Is this true? It sounds like a tremendous speaker, but I like a midrange with presence, and wonder what the presentation is like.
This speaker definately should be bi-wired, as it makes a big difference in the sound. The manufacturer clearly believes that this speaker sounds way better bi-wired.

I would agree.

I had a pair that I just sold because I wanted to change to Maggie 3.6R's (I hope I did the right thing!).

Anyway, I had Synergistic Research custom make a set of Resolution Reference .5 X2's by making the speaker ends longer than stock. What makes these cables somewhat unique, is that I had Synergistic custom make these with the 4 speaker ends (on each of the right and left cables) a little longer than standard so that they can reach between any speakers that have 2 seperate cabinets, in my case it was for the Von Schweikert VR4 Jr's.

These were pretty expensive (IMO) but they were awesome! I have them for sale on AG right now as the guy I sold the speakers to didnt buy the cables too.

The distance between the top cabinet and the bottom one does present some issues for an internal bi-wire.

There are several options.

* Buy mine ;-)

* Shotgun with 2 seperate sets of cables (excellent idea)

* Utilize the "Data Link" (not the best idea)

* Order your own custom made wires similar to the ones they were using at the HE2004 Show that feed the top cabinet and jump down to the bass cabinet, as somone has alreadt mentioned here.