Von Schweikert VR-4,Jr.

Was anyone else as impressed by these speakers at HE 2004 as I was? I thought their performance was stupendous, and can only wonder what the bigger models sound like.
gladstone
This speaker definately should be bi-wired, as it makes a big difference in the sound. The manufacturer clearly believes that this speaker sounds way better bi-wired.

I would agree.

I had a pair that I just sold because I wanted to change to Maggie 3.6R's (I hope I did the right thing!).

Anyway, I had Synergistic Research custom make a set of Resolution Reference .5 X2's by making the speaker ends longer than stock. What makes these cables somewhat unique, is that I had Synergistic custom make these with the 4 speaker ends (on each of the right and left cables) a little longer than standard so that they can reach between any speakers that have 2 seperate cabinets, in my case it was for the Von Schweikert VR4 Jr's.

These were pretty expensive (IMO) but they were awesome! I have them for sale on AG right now as the guy I sold the speakers to didnt buy the cables too.

The distance between the top cabinet and the bottom one does present some issues for an internal bi-wire.

There are several options.

* Buy mine ;-)

* Shotgun with 2 seperate sets of cables (excellent idea)

* Utilize the "Data Link" (not the best idea)

* Order your own custom made wires similar to the ones they were using at the HE2004 Show that feed the top cabinet and jump down to the bass cabinet, as somone has alreadt mentioned here.
I heard these speakers in Chicago(Decibel Audio) this past weekend, I was expecting this great speaker, what I heard was bloated bass that seemed to mess up the rest of the musicical spectrum. I was not drawn into the music as much as I would have wanted. I realize they are only 4K but I expected more. One note the salesperson said they were not filled with leadshot, and he didn't think that made that big of a difference
Don't blame the speakers because what you get at the front is what you will get in the end. Also, the salesperson needs to be replaced too as he surely doesn't know what he is selling. The leadshot is definitely an improvement as many who have them have gone this route.
Abruse. You should shop at a new place. Obviously an idiot works there and Lead shot and break in make a huge difference. Are you sure you weren't at curcuit city?

Just like it says in the manual "if it doesn't give you goosebumps, the set up is less than optimal" don't blame the speakers they need proper setup to sound right.

Rob
I just purchased the 4jr's last month and am in my 60hour or so of break in. In this short time the sound has improved significantly. Can any one advise the differece in the sound to expect once I reach 200 hrs? Hopefully a bit less edgy and bright in the treble,a more delicate midrange and a slightly more powerful bass.
To answer a question posted here, they are already forward in the midrange not recessed.

I currently using Conrad Johnson Premiere 17LS and Premiere 11a tub pre and amp- shotgun bi wired with Clearview excaliber cables(excellent cables by the way).

By the way I was told by my dealer, who was advised from Albert himself, that the cabinets are only made in China with the speakers designed and manufactured in USA or Europe. The speakers are assembled in USA.

China over the past ten years has solidly invested in machinery which is state of the art, in order for them to be a world leader in manufacuring ready for the quota elimination of 2005 and entry into the WTO.

In my industry(wool piecegoods) they have bought all the machinery from Italy, imported Italian engineers to teach them to make beautiful fabric. Their quality is on par with the Italians at a third of the price mostly due to cheaper(but not technically inferior) labor.

I would not worry about the quality. These cabinets are flawless and solid. Remember Von Sweikhert still designs and dictates the quality standards...

Just my two cents...

Rodney