help narrowing down my list of speakers, $2500

Hi, I will be buying some speakers shortly. I will have them paired with an Odyssey dual mono amp (plenty of power), Tempest (Odyssey) preamp, Ridge Street Audio interconnects and speaker cable, and an Audio Aero Prima cd player. Also I will be adding a sub soon, so bass shouldent be the deciding factor here. I have a small room (12' x 12') and my budget is $2500. I went to listen to some B&W's at the dealer and like what I heard from the Naut. 804's. Wide soundstage, clear, detailed, musical. Im looking for speakers like that. I usually listen to rock (old and new) so I want speakers that can handel that. My choices so far are:
-Dynaudio
-Vandersteen
-Avalon
-Totem
-Sonus Faber
-Aerial Acoustics
-Dali
-Merlin
-Silverline
-Vienna
-Spendor
-Tyler Acoustics
-B&W
-PMC OB-1

Any you think I should add to that list? Suggestions on what to take off? Thanks

-Jamie
jamiec001
I like Audio Physik and Meadowlark (pre-owned) in your range, and Verity Audio out of it, even second-hand ;o)

Oooh, you're gonna have fun listening to all that. Let us know what you find out, if you get the chance.
Well good luck anyway! I would not put floorstanders in a 12x12 room ..it can turn into a real headache.I suppose that's also a part of the fun..finding out when something doesn't work.Been there done that. The sound can be altered by just changing preamps or tubes in a preamp on any system regardless of the amplifier used. That's what tubes are made for.

Have Fun!
That is a small room. I saw a pair of Dynaudio 25's for $2500 today on audiogon. I love Dyn's.
good responses. Any that I should eliminate off my list? That just arent up to par with the others?

-Jamie
Hi Jamie. Don't like bookshelves? No problem. I think your confusing biwiring (2 sets of speaker posts) with biamping (2 amps). Because you can use any single amp you want with the speakers I mentioned.

I do have some input though. My room is similar to yours 12x13, I listen primarily to rock and love a wide and deep soundstage.

This is my opinion only for what thats worth.

You can scratch Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustic, Spendor and Vandersteen. More laid back type of speakers that do better with jazz and acoustic. Wouldn't normally be a first choice for some one who likes rock.

Merlin floorstanders ($10,000 new) unless there much older models are going to cost well above your budget.

Not sure, read some reviews, but I don't think the Silverline or Dali are really speakers one would associate with rockers.

Avalon, PMC and Ariel Acoustic I'm not familiar with.

The Tylers, B&W and Totems though can do rock and these IMO would be some good ones to check into.

There is a problem though.

First. A 12x12 foot room along with floorstanders is not usually a good mix. I figured by your post since you will be adding a sub you would be going with the bookshelf/sub combo that most use in a small room.

You will probably run into some bass response problems using a floorstander in a small room adding a sub may complicate this matter further.

Second if you want a big wide and deep soundstage the speakers are going to have to be well away from the wall. The rear of the speakers probably 30" or more from the back wall.

Third if positioned correctly for a large soundstage. The front baffle is going to be around 4 feet from the rear wall. This will put you about 6-7 feet from the speakers. If you do this you will need to probably look at a 2 way speaker. 3 ways, which many floorstanders are, are going to typically run into integrationg problems at such a near field listening situation.

Fourth and don't be insulted. But by your posts I think you might be new to high end audio and need to do some additional research before shelling out $2500 clams. You may come to the same conclusion that many have reached. A bookshelf, that can be moved away from the wall for listening, along with a subwoofer works better in a small room then a floorstander.

Best Wishes Maxx