Smaller speaker - bigger Woofer?

This is variation on the BIG STUPID WARM SPEAKERS thread. After moving up the ranks of B&W's (now owning the 804's), I still miss something about the sound of my old $300 a pair Infinitys with their 15" woofer I owned in the 80's.

Actually about everything was wrong with them, the Emit tweeter was awful, the woofers growled at you even when they were off, but they had that big warm sound that I'm missing with more expensive/refined speakers.

That big warm sound was great with rock but also worked well with jazz and classical.

In the BIG STUPID WARM thread I heard about some good big bass speakers like the Legacy's, Dynaudio's etc, but those are monster speakers and though the room is big, the wife doesn't want monster speakers.

I'm using the newest Cary gear for electronics - prepro, amp, cd player (about $10K in electronics) so I'm not looking for cheap Infinity - Klipsch - Cerwin Vega stuff.

I'm looking for a quality speaker with a big warm sound and larger drivers in a smaller package (and no small speakers and a sub isn't the same). Does any of this ring a bell?

larryb
You have to get the right sub with the right speaker and crossover. Understanding what it takes means everything.

Most people are not able for one reason or another to align their subwoofers properly so that the units are time coherent. In your case you surround processor does not have a sophisticated enough processor to manage proper integration. So i don't disagree with what you have experienced but it can be done quite seemlessly. I do it all the time with my own system.

If you like you can order some custom speakers, I emailed you on this matter. You may not have received it. It is not a joke and I am already building a pair for someone else. They are exactly what you are looking for except the trade off in size means a subwoofer is needed to give the last octave a boost in Dynamic Range.

They are a three way with 6" mid and 8" woofers 44"H, 10"w, 14"D they have active crossovers which gives us plenty of Latitude to make them sound anyway you want. All I have to do is send you a corrected file and you upload the new file to the crossover and the edit is made via email. This is not a toy one off I'm offerring you.
Someone is trying to sell something :-)

Check out http://www.linkwitzlab.com for DIY sub, or full range speakers for that matter. Or just knowledge in speaker design... pretty much truth in all things audio.

A great resourse for the novice to become less vulnerable to wanna be's, and think they are's.
I agree the Linkwitz site is a good guideline for two channel systems and dipole bass. It wouldn't hurt to read but at the same time it doesn't address your issue directly.

I have helped with the construction of the Orion and it is a very good speaker. But its more than you mentioned you wanted to spend and somehow (from experience) may require component complexity you won't desire.

And I challenge Didactilly to suggest a speaker that fits your description and fits your price range. Since we know its very easy to vaguely criticize when you don't feel morally obligated to offer a hard solution at the same time.

Yes I am offerring service, because no one has come up with a solution yet and my commercially available ones didn't seem to resonate well.
Well, the poster did say that he could live with a 48" tall speaker, he should have no problem finding a speaker that fits his needs.

Small speaker with large woofer in a two way design is a problem unless as Eldartford mentioned. I did hear a pair of Linn (I think) isobaric speakers that had outstanding bass quality for their size. This was years ago but it stuck in my mind...I have only owned full-range speakers for many years as my main system.

Dave
What you didn't see was the $3000 budget, which is the real crimper. In a related but another thread.

and Dave unfortunately you have not recommended something that will work. Which is why I resulted to offerring something unusual.