Von Schweikert VR4-Jr: Urgent Opinions Needed

Hi All,

I would like to get any comments/opinions on this speaker. I am very interested in purchasing it. It is purely for stereo use, no home theater. Mix of music, ranging from new age (Adiemus, Vangelis), some light classical, light rock (Cranberries), and especially female vocals (Norah, Diana Krall, Katie Melua) etc. I am limited in terms of what is available to me here but I can get a set of these at a very good price. My other option is the Usher Audio CP-6381. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks,
X
xenithon
Terrific post Bill. Really good writing.

You certainly gave the Vandys every chance to appeal to you, and at the end of the day, they didn't quite make it. No speaker designer could ask for a fairer shake.

Regards,
Another compliment for a great post, Bill. Really good writing also. Like you I heard the same thing you mention about the Vandies: "lifeless with large orchestral music". I almost put them on my short list awhile ago (considering what they do with jazz and rock etc.) until I spinned the large scale classical CD's...
BTW, what speakers did you decide on?
I see the thread is close to being hijacked :) so before that happens just wanted to check quickly if anyone has some final opinions on the VR4-Jr vs. Usher 6381.

Thanks,
X
Xenithon,

Contact Shane at hometheaterdoc.com. He handles both speakers and is familiar with their sonic characteristics. Tell him Neal recommended that you contact him for advice. You won't have to worry about him being biased since he sells them. He will give you a drop dead honest opinion. And, if you do by chance buy from him, he will give you a drop dead good buy.