Finish Quality of Von Schweikert VR4jr's

I have had a pair of these for about 6 months. I am very happy with the sound quality, but not so thrilled with the durability of the cabinet finish. The scratch extremely easily. I have several fine scratches in the finish, and they look like crap compared to my former Thiel speakers. Those could be wiped off without fear of scratching, unlike the VR4jr's.

Gues the Made in China finish is the reason they are so inexpensive. Too bad, these will not hold value as they will look like old speakers that had a family of kids living around them.

Great sound, poor finish!
brrgrr
They are fine to me. When I buy audio equipment, I'm not looking to pay for furniture. I want the best sound shoved in to a budget package. I'll put the lead shot in to save a little more. That's why it is "jr" (just right). If you want everything top of the line quality, then take a look at Von Schweikerts $100,000 speakers.

Rob
Plastic coat finishs just suck ,sound bad ,look bad but are cheap and easy to apply .I will stick with french polish, better sound, looks ,easy to repair.But takes time so no manufacters except the small guys will touch it.
My Epos M15 were a lot cheaper than your VR4jr's, but I'm still surprised how sensitive the finish is (read my thread on Epos finish).
In your opinion, is it worth taking the speakers to a good furniture maker for retouching (it's what I'm thinking of doing)?
I love it when people say that they dont pay for build quality but only pay for sound quality. The fact is that you still have to look at these speakers when you listen to them( unless you like listening in the dark), but the speakers should have a certain amount of prestige to them. I think that when you invest in a speaker ( especially $4000) they should have used methods so that the cheap build wouldnt show. Havent any of you like the admire the build of your loudspeakers? the fabulous veneering and the smoothness of the finish. The way that the drivers sink into the cabinet and how the veneer is perfectly matched with no imperfections? These engineers who design these loudspeakers should also work visual wonders with their sonic ones, in that regard they will be seen as the best money can buy. I dont think that Von Schweikert is in that league, sure they make expensive and great sounding speakers but a companies talent has to show with their less pricey ones( like a wilson sophia, avalons, sonus faber, proacs). If Von Schweikert could offer this loudspeaker with a great finish and made in the US with quality materials, then it would be a world beater. Anyone else have opinions on this?
I have to agree that the satin poly finish and the veneer quality could be better, but I have to disagree that finish quality determines whether a speaker is a 'world beater' or not. The jrs compete effectively with some heavy hitters way above their price point. Whether they compete aesthetically or not is another matter.

A quality speaker designer won't necessarily have any aesthetic refinement or sensibility. Certainly the cost of furniture quality covering and the additional personnel required to develop/apply it would be a major consideration and would be reflected in the price of the product.

It also needs to be said that finish and build quality are two separate and very different things. The jrs are VERY well built. At least in this case, you are paying for performance, not furniture. While $4,000 is a lot of money, in this incredibly price inflated hobby, it's not often that you can expect to get a Porche at Toyota prices...