Quad ESL 989 and Maggie 3.6s

I'm thinking of moving from the world of monitors and floorstanders to planers/electrostats -- this is partly due to my new amps, a set of McIntosh MC-501s, which finally give me more than ample power to get into this world.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has listened closely to both of these speakers, or has strong opinions toward one or the other? I've heard both described as near-ultimates of the type and certainly as "giant killers." Unfortunately, I have not heard the Quads (and it's been a long time since I have heard Quads).

One possible consideration against the Quads is that we do have small children in the house and they could be dangerous.

Ideas?
highdudgeon
I had magnepan and moved into second system and replace with 988 Quad. Use same amp, Pass, then try different amp, quad II tubed mono. Quad speaker sound good but magnepan is better, more real, more life, more present.
Quad very good, magnpan better for creating live music.

Kalim
Quads and Maggies are both great speakers with different strengths and weaknesses. Positioning is critical for both. However, an evaluation of the 988 with either a Pass or Quad II amplifier will not truly reveal their capabilities. IMO, Quads sound better with tubes (75WPC minimum) while Maggies need significantly more power and sound better with sand amps.
Kw6
I own Silverline Grande La Folia. Preceding the Quad 988 (2000-2005) were Apogee Caliper (1988-2000), Ohm F (1975-1988), and Bose 901 Series 1 (1971-1975).

Be aware that Quads are not ideal speakers for all types of music and amplifiers. Be sure to bring your own music and try to audition them with similar amplification as your own. The impedance curve will give some amplifiers trouble. I used them with Belles, Pass, Atma-Sphere, and Art Audio.