Why does Spectral have such a cult following

I've never thought their stuff sounded that special. They have very few dealers and they don't advertise at all. I'm not saying it's bad gear. I just don't understand why some people act like it's the holy grail.
taters
When Spectral started in the late 70's, their products where designed by co-founder Demian Martin which are his initials, "DM" on all the DMC models. Demian's products where so damn good sounding that a cult following built up by the late 80's. One of the best SS pre-amps I've ever heard to date was the Martin designed DMC-10. In '92 I spent the afternoon at a friends house and listened to the 10 and was hypnotized by its luxurious, rich sound that was smooth as silk, with a very organic, warm relaxed character.
I'd swear it was a tube pre-amp with my eyes closed. Keith Johnson took over the designs starting with the DMC-12 and things haven't been the same since. Keith's designs do not have the soul that were in Demian's products.
Years ago The Absolute Sound went uncharacteristically, absolutely gaga for their stuff and MIT around the same time too.
They are fast and accurate, a lot of people like them. It doesn't mean that if you don't you have violated a law or something. I kind of like them myself. I have never been in a position to afford them when other priorities arose and with my love of the tube magic. I found I was not able buy them.
"09-04-13: Schipo
I am curious has anyone tried anything other than MIT cables? It seems nothing more than an advertising scam. All these years and still must be used with MIT cable and nothing else? Just sounds so ridicules."

Yes. AQ, Tara, Kimber and Siltech. They all worked fine.