No more big power supplies for preamps

What does the job now?
ptss
Response 34,
No once would argue your point, of course design and execution have to be proper or all is loss. Your Purity Audio line stages employ separate and beefy power supplies as one ascends the price scale. So I assume they have a significant function or the line stages would remain a single convenient box rather than two boxes. It seems that the majority of upper tier or cost no object models have separate power supplies.
Regards,
If you research Naim and their power supplies, and read some user's reviews on the Naim forum regarding their PS555, and how some have added a second one each for digital and analog reporting great results, and now using the upgraded PS555DR (Discrete Regulator) to even better reported results.... I am not in the mood for using periods, or ending sentences today, so....
Don't necessarily be fooled by full sized power supplies. I am aware that both Bryston and Pass, in the past, marketed a pre-amp and a phono stage, respectively, that initially had separate but small power supplies only to supplant them with the identical power supplies but housed in full size cases. The market was far more accepting of a half empty power supply case vs. a just right sized case. It just bugs me when I see the insides of a component that is half or more, air
That "air" may be serving a good purpose, namely preventing different parts of the power supply from interfering with each other. Here's shot of the inside of my preamp power supply, I purposely designed it to keep the B+ supply (front and right side) away from the two high amperage filament supplies (in the back). The B+ transformer and rectifier tube are on the top of the box, so not in the picture.

26 Preamp PS
A "half full" chassis could be a very good sign and indicative of a simple straightforward circuit. You can have a robust power supply coupled with a simple circuit with fewer parts that are of exceptional quality.