SS Pre-amps that can beat an Audio Research sp16

What SS pre-amps are out there that can be considered a serious contender to replace or upgrade from an ARC sp-16.

I've had the sp16 for a few years now and like it very much. But I still have it in the back of my head that I would prefer to go all SS if possible to eliminate any tube noise issues/concerns which come up on occasion, and perhaps to enable greater frequency bandwidth, which I suspect is possible.

I am looking mainly for detail, wide bandwidth, tonal neutrality, soundstage and imaging.

Here are my leading contenders I have identified to date. I am open to feedback on these or others.

1) Benchmark (integrated preamp/DAC)
2) Bel Canto (pre-amp only or integrated with DAC)
3) McCormick
4) Others?

Thanks in advance for your input.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmapman
Personally, I don't think I could ever go back to a SS preamp, I know, I've tried. Probably the best I ever heard was a Threshold T2, which I liked better than others I had owned from the usual suspects (Krell, ML, JRDG, Ayre, Classe, etc.). However, I still have owned several tube preamps that I preferred over the T2.

That said, if I were to try another SS preamp that I would hope to satisfy me, it would be a Klyne. I say that because a Klyne 7PX5.0 was the best phono preamp that I have ever owned, and yes, I did prefer it over several tubed phono preamps that I have owned.
Jm,

Not absolutely sure yet that I can either, but having sampled the tube pre-amp waters now for a few years, I will be in a much better position to decide.

I'm largely just testing the waters....not needing to change at all really, but interested to know what the other possibilities might be.
I have heard some Krell integrateds in recent years that did a lot of what I am looking for very well and that is another option I forgot to mention that I have considered. Krell pre-amp that is , not integrated.

Not certain but I think frequency bandwidth is the main thing that a good SS pre-amp might be able to best the ARC in. THat an dnoise levels, but noise levels have not been a big issue with the ARC either, though I have had to replace tubes a couple time over the years to keep things that way, espeically the #1 tube in the phono stage.

I do not use the phono stage that much these days yet the 3 pho stage tubes are in play whenever I use the ARC, shortening their life.

At this stage, I'm just thinking that I might be better served over the long term by a good SS pre-amp with no phono and adding a separate phono stage (maybe tube) that is only on when I use it.

Bel Canto seems like a logical choice to do what I want and also to match to the amps well being from same company.

Newer Benchmark interests me as well as a potential giant killer. I'd really like to try that.

IF I went with a pre/DAC combo, that would probably free up one of my two current mhdt DACS as well, either the SS Constantine that I prefer overall or the tube based Paradisea which is also a very good performer with the right tube in it. I might sell one of those to help finance the deal.

The NAD is one of those devices just too versatile to ever get rid off. I'd keep that as a spare again for sure if a new pre-amp were to find its way into my house. I picked it up in a pawn shop on the cheap 25 years ago and it has managed to stick around ever since as a bench player/substitute amp/tuner/pre-amp that I can always call on if needed.
Thanks Cz. Will take a look.

Anyone who has heard sp16 and can compare the sound to any specific SS pre-amp, I'm interested in what you might have heard..