Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Al - I believe SX will be in the $10K range. I'll think about the diamond name. Maybe Diamond SX.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Audioengr, That model name is catchy, I believe it would go over well, that would be a name most would not forget, that name can promote sales, I am glad I could recommend something that I believe would work, ask others here, I bet they would agree.
I too think Diamond SX would be good branding, reflecting a stellar audio product.
Audioengr,quick question.

Does the diamond add any type of improvement to sound quality? If not,may I ask,why add unnecessary cost to the dac when I'm sure the money could be better utilized elsewhere.Or,maybe I'm not getting the diamond thing.

Or could the diamond be of such low quality that its value is moot to the cost of the unit?
AOL - the Diamond SX is significantly better than the SE. Better focus, more 3-D, better imaging. Literally everything going on in the music track is crystal clear and pinpoint image.

The Diamond is some bling to insure that the customer feels that his investment is worth it and also to distinguish my top DAC from the Overdrive SE. Its also nice to point out that even the dCS at 5-10X the price does not have any diamonds on it. This definitely beats it.

There is literally nothing I can think of that would make this DAC have better SQ, at any price. I'm already using the best capacitors on the planet.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio