ARC Ref phono stage.

I have always enjoyed the AR2 reference system phono stage at the dealer. It is always in the reference room, with Balanced ouputs into AR reference preamp. My electronics are single ended SS, Spectral Reference. Question for those out there is whether I would experience all of the sound of the phono stage?
tennisdoc40
I own the REF2SE because the dealer let me take it home. If yours doesn't do that, he's a fool. Find another dealer. Yes, you should be able to enjoy it's wonderful qualities even with a SE system, if as suggested, your system is good enough.
No way am I making a purchase of this significance without taking the unit home and auditioning it in my system at home. Any dealer worth their salt will take your credit card information and let you take the demo unit home for at home listening. For that kind of money, if they won't, walk.

enjoy
Well at least you guys have ARC dealers around to huff and puff about. Also, since I usually buy preowned or factory refurbished, I don't shop in B&M stores because I am uncomfortable taking up a salesperson's time if I do not intend to buy from him/her.

Kinda put's me between a rock and a hard place. So far, I think I'm doing ok since I stick with ARC gear. Risk is reduced -- not eliminated. Could I do better sound- performance wise? Yes ... possibly. I don't drink the Kool-Aid, so I accept the possibility that other brands sound better. But access is limited.

That's why the OP is aking the question about the brands mentioned: all good brands. Regardless of what he chooses, he'll be ok, as long as he doesn't pick an incompatible componenent. That risk can be reduced by calling the brand manufacturers.

Cheers,
My favorite store, Stereo Design in San Diego, CA is 120 miles from where I live. I have established a good relationship with them over the many years. There are many dealers/stores in the LA area where I live. I just don't have any relationship with them and quite honestly, I'm good driving to San Diego to listen. I visit many times per year with absolutely no intention of purchasing anything. Just to talk, listen to music and discuss the audio and audio equipment fields with them. They know I know what I'm doing (hopefully) and I appreciate their insight and knowledge. My point is that establishing relationships is very important to have trust and understanding. They also know that when I do like something enough to purchase it, I buy from them. If I was serious enough to finally think about purchasing the AR REF 250 amps that I really like, they would absolutely let me take them home for a week, like they have for other equipment. So for me, as I mentioned previously, for that kind of money, if they won't let you take it home for an audition or guarantee a full refund if you don't like it, then I would walk. You are the customer. I would also call the manufacturer to see if they or another authorized dealer they recommend would like you take equipment home or ship it to you for audition. We are not talking about a $200 receiver here. Some dealers will actually bring the equipment to you. hook it up and let you demo it for a few hours in your home also.

I also have absolutely no problem taking up a salesperson's time with serious questions and listening. That is their job. If they don't take me seriously or treat me as if they want my business, then again, I walk. That kind of attitude from dealers/salespeople have ended many a store.

Most dealers I have dealt with that didn't know me initially almost always are snotty at first and ask the obvious questions. What equipment do you have? What type of music do you listen to? When they hear my background, likes and dislikes and equipment, I typically see an immediate change in their attitudes.

enjoy
I can make you a better phono preamp than the ARC and I will send it to you for a listen.