ARC Ref phono stage.

I have always enjoyed the AR2 reference system phono stage at the dealer. It is always in the reference room, with Balanced ouputs into AR reference preamp. My electronics are single ended SS, Spectral Reference. Question for those out there is whether I would experience all of the sound of the phono stage?
tennisdoc40
Bigkidz…..What many of us need is top-notch 100% tube head amp…like a modern version of the Counterpoint SA-2. So many preamps have great line stages and MM stages, but then rely on step-up transformers for that last 20-26 or so of db gain for MC. Any ideas?
I can design a tube head amp based on Counterpoint SA-2. I would make a better power supply using tubes and chokes in a separate chassis. The main circuit should be similar to SA-2 with improvement in bias circuit, with point to point direct wiring. The gain should about 25 dB and no setup transformer needed. All parts used would be premium grades. Teflon tube sockets, gold plated RCA sockets, etc.

Using MC transformers would sound better if the transformers are designed right. MC transformers have better air, sound stage and are more musical than a tube head amp, but some people think MC transformers have more coloration than tube head amp. The choice is a matter of taste, but one thing sure is MC transformers have better noise level than tube head amp.
You can get all tube phono stages from Jadis (in their JP80, JP200 and JPS3 units) or Shindo (from the Monbrisson on up), and probably also Aesthetix; however, those will cost a good amount. I generally agree with Bigkidz on the noise issue, though my Shindo is surprisingly silent.
I have the Aesthetix Rhea, and the sound is organic and wonderful. When the tubes are new, the noise level is tolerable considering 54 db of gain from the tubes. About 8 months in to use, the noise level between tracks is noticeable at the listening chair. The AR does use FET for the initial gain stage, and that would explain the quietness.
Yeah the FET in the initial stage can help to make the preamp quiet. But using a better quality power supply can make a pure tube preamp sounds quiet. It's just that tube is tube, and transistor is transistor. Pure tube always sounds better, period. (IMO).