Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I too think Diamond SX would be good branding, reflecting a stellar audio product.
Audioengr,quick question.

Does the diamond add any type of improvement to sound quality? If not,may I ask,why add unnecessary cost to the dac when I'm sure the money could be better utilized elsewhere.Or,maybe I'm not getting the diamond thing.

Or could the diamond be of such low quality that its value is moot to the cost of the unit?
AOL - the Diamond SX is significantly better than the SE. Better focus, more 3-D, better imaging. Literally everything going on in the music track is crystal clear and pinpoint image.

The Diamond is some bling to insure that the customer feels that his investment is worth it and also to distinguish my top DAC from the Overdrive SE. Its also nice to point out that even the dCS at 5-10X the price does not have any diamonds on it. This definitely beats it.

There is literally nothing I can think of that would make this DAC have better SQ, at any price. I'm already using the best capacitors on the planet.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Let me know when your Diamond SX is ready for prime-time production model is ready for an audition. I'm dying to hear it!!!!

Over Drive - Diamond SX

ODDSX

I like it.

Thoughts for best sound possible:
--> Upgraded all internal wire and cable, Upgrade footers to reduce vibration, upgrade cabinet to reduce micro resonance and increase damping, isolate and separate power supply (do you need to go to a separate power supply for left and right channel?), upgrade all cable connections, upgrade umbilical power cord, isolated DAC's and schematics for DSD and PCM (although I think the SX is PCM only), improve upon those recessed toggles all the way on the right (they are not easy to flip). That's it. I'm no engineer, but these are the first things the other guys do...

Just thinking out loud.
That did jog me. One possibility is an external linear supply rather than the SMPS I use. I would be really big box though, about 10X of the DAC.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio