Ssssh, is your tube preamp really that quiet?

Does anyone own, or know of, a tube preamp that is TRULY QUIET even when the volume is turned up? On my CAT tube preamp, there is always a certain amount of tube rush when the volume is up. This doesn't really bother me as it is not really audible when music is playing, BUT I'm sure the sound could be better IF this wasn't the case. Anyone have a totally quiet tube preamp?? No ssssh whatsoever!
128x128daveyf
I do wonder how much better the overall SQ, could and would be, IF no tube hiss was present whatsoever in the system.
That way lies madness, or worse...solid state!
Ralph, is it possible to make a tubed phono section without a SUT that is noiseless?
Manley Steelhead into Manley NeoClassic 250 monoblocks: dead quiet

This is an example of a phono section that employs a semiconductor at its input, IOW, it is not all-tube.

Ralph, is it possible to make a tubed phono section without a SUT that is noiseless?

No. All circuits make noise (tube or solid state), the question is how much? You can get a tube phono section to be pretty quiet assuming the tubes are good (our phono section is good to about 0.2mV); anyone saying that their all-tube phono section is 'dead quiet', that sort of thing is not telling the whole story!

If you are using a low output MC cartridge without a stepup transformer, there is going to be a limit as to how low output you can work with from the cartridge. For us that point is at about 0.2mV (0.2 millivolts), where if the preamp has good tubes in it, the phono noise will be below the surface noise of the LP.

What I have found over the years is that everyone has different tolerance levels for noise. Some people are upset when they have the volume up way high, and then lift the arm off the record, and hear all this noise. But you know what? All phono sections that are all-tube are going to do that.

If you run an SUT (its an option in our preamps) you can get the noise floor down to a point where it is near the same level as the line stage. That's pretty quiet! But if you turn the volume up real high, the noise is still there. What is happening is the transformer boosts the cartridge level so much that you just don't have to have the volume control up that high yet its playing at a very high level. So it makes the illusion that the phono section is silent. But no phono section is actually silent- they all make noise!
Ralph, thank you. I was beginning to believe that my tube phono section was faulty...same with the preamp. Particularly after reading some of the other posts on this thread. BUT, I kind of figured that some of these examples aren't all tube phono stages and IF they are, then the user isn't listening close to the speaker with the volume up and no music playing. I guess like everything in our hobby, there are trade-off's to be made. I'm still firmly in the tube camp though...particularly in the preamp stage.
Very interesting thread because I hear the same ssssh sound
from my tube preamp coming through my 102db efficient
speakers. This noise is the same regardless of the preamp's
volume setting. I have been able to reduce it substantially
by turning the level controls down on the power amp. Changing
out the tubes did nothing to eleviate this noise. The amp
associated is a Class D switching amp.