Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt,

How can you NOT know CAD? They are a top quality British digital audio player. LoL
Hi Jon,

The CAT is designed to output via a USB connection or Ethernet connection. The CAT does not have S/PDIF, RCA or XLR connections.

The CAT will play back any format at any bit rate and any resolution available.

The 1543 DAC will "natively" playback up to 176.4Khz. If you connect the 1543 DAC to the CAT it will playback DSD via DSD over PCM (DoP).

I have no plans to make the 1543 DAC accept DSD natively. I have had customers concerned about this and my suggestion is to please go to any of our dealers with some of your DSD files and have a listen to the CAT and 1543 DAC.

The bulk of our customers are people that have been involved in audio for many years and have a large collection of CDs and possibly a CD player that has a few years on it. I am personally also a big vinyl nut and I have tried to get the sound of the 1543 DAC and CAT to be a bit more like that and less like many digital components out there that have "sort of CD High Res sound to it" as Lohanimal mentions.

The CAT and 1543 DAC combination will playback any file currently available.

Best Regards,

Scott
Hi Agear,

Yes, CAD was at the Warsaw show this year. We were in the Tulip room with the 1543 DAC, CAT and CAD USB Cable along with Boenicke W8 speakers and Purist Audio Design interconnects.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/poland2014/11.html

Best Regards,
Scott
www.computeraudiodesign.com
Hi Mattnshilp,

All our products are sold with a 30 day money back guarantee. If you are interested please contact me through our website:

http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/contact/

Best Regards,

Scott
www.computeraudiodesign.com
Thanks, Scott, for your very informative reply.
Please correct if I am wrong - for 24/192 data, the transport can transmit this to the DAC which then downsamples to 24/96?