FM Acoustics fm155 preamp

The fm155 is the cheapest FM acoustics preamp and if hunted for, can be found for about $5k in the pre-owned market. The question is, is this entry level FM preamp worth considering ? Sometimes these big brands compromise too much in their entry level products ultimately leaving a lot to be desired. Hence my question on this entry level FM preamp.

Kindly advise.
pani
Yeah, FM sounds better with preamp and amp together. Plus, I suggest you use their interconnects and speaker cable.
Dave, I believe that FM supplies only their own cables and requires that their products are used only with their cables. I am not sure about interconnects but speaker cables for sure nothing else can be used since they have their own custom plug. This is one of the things that turned me off from FM even though otherwise I find their gear to be among the best ever. This is the same thing that bothers me about Spectral, they require that only MIT cables are used which place additional passive components in the signal path, something that should be avoided IMHO or at least not be required. I wonder how much more successful these brands would be if they didn't have so many requirements and restrictions.
As a former FM owner (I had to sell it, long story,) you can use your own interconnects, no problem. You're correct about the speaker cable. I don't see this as a problem as the FM equipment is optimized and designed for use using their own cables, which are excellent, imo. I still use FM interconnects in my current system. They in fact work very well, which surprised me a bit. I think what makes FM less successful is the limited production for most units, and the super high prices. Very few people can afford it, and perhaps the ones who can have a hard time justifying paying that much for stereo equipment. But, that is the FM philosophy, I suppose. I would probably go for a used unit nowadays. The prices used to be much less years ago. And the production and philosophy was pretty much the same back then. Of course the new units are the latest designs, but are they really head and shoulders above the older models that were much less expensive? Are they really that much different? I can't answer that at the moment. Even though I had units that are now discontinued (I had the 244C pre and the 611 amp,) I do regret selling them off, but again it's a long story, and let's just say I was in a pinch.
Hi Pani,
Congrats on your F10 acquisition!
I think you've already got all grounds covered and knew prior what you wanted--hence I posted here. Unless for some reason you are less than totally pleased with your new purchase, if it were me, I'd get the 155 Pre and later when funds permit, add on the 133 Linearizer.. Bet it'll be perfect with your F10--Just as Manuel intended. ;)
In the meantime, hang on to your Lamm, and wait for a nice used 155 or 245 to surface. Don't waste anymore money/time.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/05/fm-acoustics-fm-155-preamplifier-line.html

Re cabling, yes as Dave mentioned above, use their PITs and Forcelines.. A good thing--reasonable cost for near perfect synergy (in the context of complete FMA system). You could perhaps do better/different but for much much more $$--not really worth it. My 2c
Thanks, Bvdiman. The FM cables are very neutral like the FM equipment. Which i why I suspect they are such a good match. They do not really act as tone controls like some competing products.