Some amplifier questions

I plan to set up a sound system for my bedroom. The room is 16'x14'. I have a 65" Panasonic TV at the 14' end of the room. I want to have a center, sub and two front speakers. Should I be looking for a 3 channel amp or will a 5 channel work fine even though I won't be using all 5 channels? The system will be for 90% television and 10% music. What should I be looking for in a receiver? How many watts, features? What price range? The room is so small I can't listen to music very loudly but I don't want to be under powered. Some amp suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
wemfan
Two important questions are 1) how important is sound quality for that 10% of music and 2) what speakers are you using and how hard are they to drive?

I'm guessing music will be more of a secondary thing and so sound quality not of the utmost importance although you obviously want it to at least sound good. And if the speakers aren't a particularly hard load and considering you're listening at relatively low levels in a relatively small room with a sub it doesn't sound like you'll need all that much power. I'd go for something like a Yamaha RXV375 ($250 or less new), which probably has enough power for your needs and gets decent reviews for sound quality versus other receivers in the price range. The biggest remaining question would be if it has all the features/connections you need or want. Given what you described I think getting a separate amp/prepro might be a bit overkill for this situation. Hope this helps and best of luck.
The television is all I have, so far. I plan to use an Oppo Blu Ray but I haven't made any decisions about the receiver or speakers, yet. You are correct the music is a secondary consideration and I want a receiver rather than separates to save room if nothing else. I was guessing I should pay more than $250 for a decent receiver but I don't how much more, to get something appropriate. I also want some good sounding speakers for a bedroom television set-up. I don't want to go overboard but I don't want to go cheap either.
I would guess the receiver, speakers and sub should be somewhere between $2000-$4000
If you're using an Oppo, and not using a turntable or radio tuner, I suggest skipping the receiver and just getting a 3 or 5 channel amp. Get a 5 channel if you plan to upgrade later.

The Oppo does very well directly into an amplifier, and the surround settngs can be controlled from the Oppo.