Some amplifier questions

I plan to set up a sound system for my bedroom. The room is 16'x14'. I have a 65" Panasonic TV at the 14' end of the room. I want to have a center, sub and two front speakers. Should I be looking for a 3 channel amp or will a 5 channel work fine even though I won't be using all 5 channels? The system will be for 90% television and 10% music. What should I be looking for in a receiver? How many watts, features? What price range? The room is so small I can't listen to music very loudly but I don't want to be under powered. Some amp suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
wemfan
That's pretty funny, Tim. Fortunately, I have had this wife a long time and she knows about all of my many deficiencies. Tell me this...how is the remote control going to work? Will I have two or can I get one that will work my directv and this version of a home theater? Remember, I have never done this before.

Just waitin on the center and the stands then it is hook up time!!!
Hi Wemfan,

Yes, understanding and tolerant wives are important for us a/v nuts. I'll have been married for 26 yrs this May and she's been cool with me turning our living rooms into combination home theaters and listening rooms (with front 6 ft tall speakers) all along. Good to hear you have a keeper, too.

Some might say you went overboard on your bedroom system with others on this thread and myself as willing instigators/accomplices. But I say pay them no mind because, every time you use it, you're going to be thrilled. The system you built is of exceptional quality from beginning to end, with no weak links in the chain. The choice of the bigger rack/stand with the KEF R600C center speaker is just the cherry on top.

We all should be arriving at your house a day or two after you get it all set up and running for a listen; you do have a king sized bed, right?

Have a blast and keep us informed.
See you soon,
Tim

Wemfan,

I just noticed I didn't answer your question on the remotes. As I noted before, my system is very similar to yours. I not only have the same hdtv and Oppo 105 as you, I have Directv, too. So, I'll tell you how I utilize the remotes and give you an idea of at least one way it all functions.

Basically, I use both the Directv remote and the Oppo remote. The Directv remote controls what you're viewing and the Oppo remote just controls the volume. I've found that, once you adjust the volume to your desired level on one channel, this volume works well on all channels so you can set it aside and just use the Directv remote only to switch channels. You'll only need the Oppo remote again if you want to turn the sound up, down or 'mute'.

The Oppo's volume level will be super-imposed on your tv screen when you adjust it on the Oppo remote. It's a horizontal bar that fills in as you increase volume and also displays a numeric volume readout of '0 to 100'. I set my volume in the '50-65' range for regular tv viewing and only increase to above '70' when watching favorite shows or movies.

To have your system work in the above manner, here's how to set it up: Connect an HDMI cable from the Directv 'Genie' or small 'client server' to the 'HDMI 1' input on the Oppo. Connect a 2nd HDMI cable (the 105 comes with a 6ft HDMI cable) from the Oppo's output to the Panasonic hdtv's 'HDMI 1' input. This hookup allows the satellite video signal to be processed by the 105's very good Qdeo internal video processor before being passed along to your plasma. The picture quality is excellent with this setup.

I also have a Logitech Harmony-650 universal remote that I used on my previous setup. I haven't yet felt the need to reprogram it to take over the functions of both into a single remote. This would be another option if you feel the need for it.

I hope this helped you understand how it all functions,
Tim
My DirecTV HD-DVR also connects to the Oppo 105 via HDMI, but I use a Logitech Harmony One to control all the components in the setup. The preamp triggers the amps.

db
Still waiting on the rack. I have everything else. I would think that another week or so and I will be putting this all together.