Some amplifier questions

I plan to set up a sound system for my bedroom. The room is 16'x14'. I have a 65" Panasonic TV at the 14' end of the room. I want to have a center, sub and two front speakers. Should I be looking for a 3 channel amp or will a 5 channel work fine even though I won't be using all 5 channels? The system will be for 90% television and 10% music. What should I be looking for in a receiver? How many watts, features? What price range? The room is so small I can't listen to music very loudly but I don't want to be under powered. Some amp suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
wemfan
Hi Wemfan,

Sorry, had some things to do today and just got back. Anyway, here's how to hookup the audio once the Hdmi cables are hooked up:

1.Connect the 'Dedicated Stereo' Right audio output to the 'CH 1' audio input on the Parasound A31 with either a singlxlr or rca cable (xlr ispreferred if you have it).

2..Connect the 'Dedicated Stereo' Left audio output to the 'CH 3' audio input on the Parasound A31 with either a singlxlr or rca cable (xlr ispreferred if you have it).

3. Connect spkr wire between the spkr jacks under the A31's 'CH 1' label to your KEF LS50 located to the right side of your plasma.

4.Connect spkr wire between the spkr jacks under the A31's 'CH 3' label to your KEF LS50 located to the left side of your plasma.

5. Connect an rca cable between the 'Center Out' on the back of the Oppo and the rca input on the back of the A31 labeled 'CH 2'

6 Connect spkr wire between the spke jacks under the A31's 'CH 2' label to your KEF center channel spkr located under your plasma.

7. Press the 'Home' button on your Oppo's remote.

8. Scroll right to the 'Setup' icon (last one on right) and press 'Enter'.

9. Send me a p.m. with your phone# when you've completed the above and I'll call you and we'll go forward from step#8 on the phone. It'll be much quicker.

Thanks,
Tim

Wemfan,

The HDMI cable attached between the Oppo's HDMI input (will display as #3 'HDMI Back' once all has been hooked up properly) and the Directv box's HDMI output sends both your satellite signals audio and video to the Oppo 105. The Oppo has a built in decoder for Dolby digital 7.1 surround. You'll need to run an rca cable from the analog audio output on the back of the Oppo for the center channel to the rca audio input labeled 'CH 2' on the back of your A31 amp (the 'Dedicated Stereo' rca or xlr outputs on the Oppo's back panel carry the left + right front surround channel signal for surround sound and the regular stereo left +right signals when playing music. Connect the left 'Dedicated Stereo' output to the A31's 'Ch 3' input and the right output to the A31's 'Ch 1' input). You'll only be using 3 channels, or 3.1 channels if you use a sub, but that's fine. You'll just be hearing the front left + right and center channels.

The Oppo also has a built in QDEO video processor that will take the incoming 1080i satellite signal, up-convert it to 1080p and optimize it before sending it to your Panasonic plasma's HDMI input #1. You'll need to make sure both the Panasonic and Oppo are configured properly on their respective internal menu settings but I will explain these once the physical hookups are done.

Later,
Tim
Wemfan,

We haven't heard from you in awhile; you must be too busy just enjoying your new system. I'd really like to hear your impressions, though.

Thanks,
Tim