What is the modern equivalent to the L1090?

Looking for opinions on what are the modern equivalent speakers to my L1090 a/d/s speakers
tsand
It sounds to me like you are still in love with your ADS speakers. If you feel the need for something better, why not pick up a pair of L1590/2's, one of the best speakers they ever produced. I guarantee once you have them, you won't part with them!

01-02-14: Sid42
It sounds to me like you are still in love with your ADS speakers. If you feel the need for something better, why not pick up a pair of L1590/2's, one of the best speakers they ever produced. I guarantee once you have them, you won't part with them!

Well, here's a thought: The L1090s he already owns have the same proprietary ADS soft dome midrange and tweeter as the much larger, harder to find, and more expensive L1590s. In the 27 years since the L-series came out, powered subwoofers have gotten more self-contained, faster, deeper, more compact, and exponentially less expensive. For around $1200 the OP could get a pair of Gallo TR-1D or SVS SB12-NSD subs. Both models are compact, sealed like the L1090s, excellent for music, and dig down into the 20 Hz region.

When I think back on my L1090s, my only real complaint was that I wanted more bass extension. Back when I sold them most subwoofers were still slow and large. Today it would be easy to match up some subs. Currently I even have subs that blend nicely with my Magnepan 1.7s, but I may look into the Gallos or SVSs to get extension into the 20s.
I owned L880/2 for 15 years, powered by NAD and Luxman amps. Now, in a secondary system, I use L1290/2 that I picked up used for $350 locally some years ago. Mated with a Harman Kardon 430 receiver from the early '70s (a gem), they sound shockingly good and make me wonder sometimes why I spend so much on other gear. From a cost/benefit standpoint, this combo is way off the charts.

I kept the L1290 in my main system with a 100w/c pure class A amp until 6 or 7 years ago and then replaced them with Vandersteen 3A Signature. I found the Vandies, while not without their faults, to be quite a bit better in most areas except bass depth and quality, and width of sweetspot, which is very narrow in the 3A Sig. The seal-cab ADS bass has a palpable character that's very hard to beat.

I've since sold the Vandies and twice moved on to much pricier speakers and amps but kept the L1290/2. There is something special about that generation of ADS. So maybe check out the 3A Sig if you're jonesin' for a change but hold on to your L1090. You'll be glad you did.