Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Guido,

In addition to the constant bit shuffling to facilitate speed optimization, there seems to be power related issue too that you can flesh out from this thread:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/battery-powered-solid-state-drive-tweak-really-works-23292/

SD cards are already optmised for streaming. Just look at the high speed photography/video market. Audio is thus trivial for SD card tech.

Keith, again I remind you that a Streamer is still in the digital domain, so no chance of an analog vol control there. You would need an embedded Dac to first convert to analog. Only analog can go straight to norml power amps.
audioengr, did you read winson's post to me?, I believe a streamer can be built with a high quality analog volume control with dac built in, the krell kps 25sc unit back years ago was an all in one pre-amp and transport and dac, pure class A on top of that, anything is possible?
Lumin makes a Music Server/DAC/balanced analog out. All you need is an amp I think.

I'm figuring out a lot with music servers. Wow are they different.
A Streamer Dac is not the same as a pure streamer! I have said this repeatedly. A pure Streamer is a digital device and can have only digital volume control.

I dont understand the confusion here, as I never said a Streamer Dac cant do analog VC. A Dac must be in the chain to get to analog and to thus have analog VC.

Lumin is a DAC, this Krell mentioned above is a Dac. No problem to have analog VC with a DAC, no matter what other upstream functions are in the box.

Devialet amps are Streamer/Amp/Dac and I am pretty sure they have analog VCs. Others like Goldmund have the speakers with built in amp and Dacs an you use a digital processor to stream to them.