VPI Direct Drive Turntable

I received a copy of the new Music Direct catalog today and saw the new VPI Classic Direct Drive turntable listed at $30,000. It looks virtually indistinguishable from the Classic 3 with the new 3-D tonearm save for three speed buttons in place of the pulley and the rubber belt. The description on the MD website is rather scant, and certainly does not give enough information to explain what makes this turntable $25K more expensive than the belt drive Classic line. The VPI website makes no mention of the new flagship product at all.

Does anyone have any information on this new megabuck VPI table?
actusreus
Hi Folks,

I've been on and off following this thread but figured I would throw my hat in, there is a lot to touch upon so I'll do the best I can...

That is correct, Harry has stepped down and enjoying retirement! He is still onboard as a mentor to me and chief designer. Actually, I'm starting to find the process begins with me coming up with an idea (potentially off the walls) and he figures out how we can make it work. It has been a fantastic learning experience and I'm trying the best I can to absorb this whole industry.

Anyway, down to business... I have to say that I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts in this thread! To start with I'm going to be brutally honest, you can go the rest of your life very happily listening to a Classic 3 ($6,000) or Classic 4 ($8,000 w/ 1 arm). You don't need anything more than that to enjoy your music on the hi-end level. Heck, I'm using a Traveler in my apartment and I love it!
The original concept for the direct drive turntable was suppose to be a different/fancy chassis inspired by the look of the HR-X as well as a stand. However, the potential retail price on the original concept for the table estimated anywhere from 40-50K! The motor and the arm were finished and that is where the magic happens. We didn't want to delay the release any longer and we didn't want the price to go any higher for the consumer. That's why we chose the Classic 4 inspired design because it works, sounds great, and looks great!

The Classic Direct is giving you 5% more than what you can get from the Classic 4 or HR-X. We compared all 3 tables using the 3D arm with a Dynavector, Ortofon MC Windfeld, and the Lyra Atlas. The Classic Direct had a smoother warmer sound, and produced music close to a reel-to-reel tape (which we compared also). However, it is a case of diminishing returns. It takes a lot of work, time, and engineering to accomplish that 5% improvement. Also there is the cost for prototyping and testing, supplies, labor, and distribution. This table was 3 years in the making.

That being said, yes we do plan to trickle down the technology. Our goal in the upcoming years is to lower the price while keeping the quality. Also the advances of 3D printing are increasing every year! It is amazing the things the world has accomplished with 3D printing from medical equipment, prosthetic limbs, and now audio equipment! There was a time a computer was the size of 2 rooms and unattainable by the public. Now my smart phone has that 2 room computer beat!

Regarding our fiscal interest in this table, one of our distributors told me we should sell the Direct for $50,000 because "you can get away with it". That isn't how we operate. And I playfully used some "colorful" words in response to that comment. This is the most expensive table we have ever released, but we are still staying true to our inclusive philosophy to provide hi-end audio for all listeners.

Which brings me to the Nomad, which was referred to by some of the posts I read in this thread. The Nomad is an all in one table to appeal essentially to all audiences. One of the first ideas for the Nomad came while at the Capital Audio Fest Show. I met a young audiophile who was about 22-25 years old and was very excited to meet me to talk about his turntable (Scout 1 with the original acrylic platter). He told me that he bought his turntable while in college and took out a loan to complete his system. He also told me the toughest part was getting the rest of the components as well... amplifier, speakers, cartridge... all of the essentials to listen to music. I was very impressed that VPI stood out to him so much that he took out a loan for his table!

Here is what is included in the Nomad:

- Ortofon 2M Red which we are mounting for you.
- Grado Labs iGrado headphones.
- Headphone amplifier and output with volume control to plug your headphones in.
- Phono connectors so you can still set the Nomad up to your big rig speakers.
- Aluminum gimbaled tonearm.
- Turntable/platter.
- Full upgrade path.

I grew up in this industry, but I never expected to be IN this industry or leave my career as a teacher. Then again, I never expected mom (Sheila/former owner) to be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Here we are now, life is dynamic with ups and downs with products of all different qualities and price tags. Let's all enjoy the music together.

-MW
Lewm if it's that good for this application why did you not use it with your plinths?
Why don't Artisan Fidelity , Porter Audio and Kodo Beat not use this combination of material? The production cost and material savings would be significant.
And why don't you see these combined materials in main stream tables at this price point?
Thanks Matt for your thoughtful post. I wish you, your Dad, the whole family the best. Been there and seen what you and your family have gone through with cancer. It's tough on everyone.

Hatzlachah on your new management role at VPI. Ask Mike or Jack what hatzlachah means. They'll get a chuckle and ask if that was Bruce from Wynnewood. It was and is. :) I for one applaud your innovative ideas.

Matt, do you and the rest of the VPI team think I would gain much of a performance bump if I picked up a Lyra Skala?? I currently use the Kleos. My front end is ARC. Back end too.

I had a feeling that the performance delta between the Classic Direct and the Classic 3/4 was on the magnitude you mentioned. I suppose if one wants to squeeze that last drop of performance out of his/her vinyl rig, it's something to think about.

Thanks and best wishes to the VPI folks.

Bruce
Matt, now that you are on this thread, when is that DD going to make its way to Bangkok. I am eagerly waiting to hear one now :)