Record Grading...

There are reasons why to void Goldmine grading:

1. It doesn't assume testing a record by only identifying the visual usage intensity and intensity of scratches. Even noisy records that look great can be graded NM at your dissapointment when you start playing them.
2. Grading Mint sealed records may not be correct because the record could be so warped that it wouldn't play at all or will rumble too much so underneath the sealed jacket there could be the record that cannot even be G rated.
3. Record that clips-pops on one track with short duration should be by goldmine graded G even if the rest of songs are absolutely noiseless while noisy ones throughout all tracks can be graded VG+ if they look pretty. I disagree because the record that only has glitch on one track should be valued way higher vs. one noisy on all tracks.
4. Had received records VG+ where music is distorted due to the usage and large density of scratches(looks pretty though), but in reality it's not even G.
5. Nothing says in Goldmine standards about fingerprints and grease on the playing surface. Stains and fingerprints penatrate playing surface with accumulated dust over them and bring as much unpleasant noise as scratches or damaged grooves with poor and old styli tip.
czarivey
Agree with all your points, but have to say that used is used and no one can detect a warped record in a sealed package, new or old. Case in point - just bought Chick Corea's The Vigil. New, 2013 release, 2013 pressing, supposedly audiophile grade vinyl. Warped right out of the package. I got lucky because it sounds great, but getting the VTA right was a challenge. Similar issue with David Byrne's and Saint Vincent's duet, also new. Warped records are a big reason why vinyl is mostly a geek preserve today. That said, just picked up a 180 gram re-issue of Stanley Clarke's School Days and it's perfect.

On used stuff, got a couple of old Sheffields here a year or so ago, and one had a totally trashed first track 1 without any visual clue at all. The remainder was just fine. Pulled out a couple of really old pressings from when I was a child for comparison, and they were still playable, if not great. I could hear the damage done by my sister's old GE portable record changer (tube driven, btw), but it was better than track 1 on the damaged Sheffield.

IMO, a uniform grading system is better than nothing, but caveat emptor remains the law of the land.
Too many times, a NM or VG record looks great, has a nice surface, but the grooves have been worn away. Especially records from 1950s, 60s. After cleaning the record, it's still bad from years of use by an ancient or poor stylus.
Yes, I know "Buyer Beware," and whenever I've contacted the seller, he admits he never played said record.

So, the grading system is no guarantee and you're correct regarding inconsistencies. Once you find a good dealer, stick with him.
For the above various reasons...I only purchase at shops that will actually play an Lp for you...or have a dedicated listening table...tip: I tend to buy clean (NM) lps that have a sharpness on the outer rim...this indicates a) an Lp fresh off the stamper b) an Lp that has not been handled (played) often c) all of the above.