VPI Scout running FAST...help?

Ladies and Gentlemen-

For your consideration, I present my very first world but very real audio problem.

Proud (sorta) second owner of a VPI Scout One. 11.5 Acrylic platter, 600rpm motor. Approx 3 years old, appears very little previous use.

At the present, the table is running at a steady and consistant speed of 34.6 and 47.1. I have tested the speeds using my ears (songs sound too fast), a strobe, the old fashioned counting RPM's over a 3 minute period, and even so far as to have a friend bring over a centerfuge calibrator from a medical lab. So I am certain that these are the speeds it is presently running.

Things I think I have ruled out:

Belt is new, but not brand new

Table is on a flat, level surface

Pulley is attached soundly in the motor

The reported speeds are at the top "rung" of the pulleys, I am aware that the higher up the pulley the belt is, the slower the platter turns.

Outlet power is ok, I have tested the table on multiple outlets and it is the same, also, my older Pro-ject table ran a consistant 33.5 on the very same outlet.

This is where I run out of ideas. I have placed an e-mail and call to VPI, but have not heard back yet. Anyone have any ideas? Goin crazy here...

Thanks in advance-
thebambino
Thanks gentleman. The belt came from Musicdirect with a receipt
that SAYS it's the correct belt, but I guess I cannot totally
rule that out as a mistake.

As far as motor positioning, I have moved it as far and
as close to the plinth as possible, with no results.

Again, thanks for your thoughts thus far!!!
Did you try putting the belt in a bag with some talcum powder? Shake it up a bit, put it on the pulley and table , then see. This may help slow it down.

Though I'm guessing the obvious answer, a VPI SDS, is out of the question?
I own a Scout, and I am not using an SDS, but I'm not having any speed issues either.
I did try the talcum powder trick. No dice. It seems unlikely that it would affect the speed that drastically however. 34.6 is pretty fast.
Bambino...sounds like you've tried everything. Maybe you just have a bad motor. Send Mat an email and see what he has to say.

http://vpiindustries.com/contact.htm
Thanks mofi-

Will do. MusicDirect offered to send me another belt, so I'll try that just for the hell of it, but I think the motor might be the culprit.