Does the VPI Aries1 best the VPI Classic1?

I would think it should.
Anyone have an opinion based on side by side comparisons?
dreadhead
I've always admired the look of the Aries and HRX series -- gorgeous works of art. I can even admire the Super Scoutmaster (though to a lesser extent) for its no-nonsense solid build. With those tables, it seems like you pay X amount of cash and get back 2X in build quality & looks. At least in that regard, the Classic line was such a huge step backwards. To be fair they're still nice looking tables, but...what happened?
I had the Linn LP12, went to VP I MkII, III, IV, Aries, Scoutmaster Signature, back to Aries and will stay there. The Aries just does so much right, and isolates rumble better than the Acrylic platter tables. A real Classic.....mine will not be sold until all my vinyl is on a hard drive run through DSD .....which won't be soon. Hang onto them. PT
I agree that the Aries 1 is probably one of the best turntables ever designed (IMO). I got rid of mine and have regretted it ever since. What I should have done was swap the tonearm to another brand, but that's a different discussion.

I did just see and hear the new Pear Audio Blue Kid Thomas turntable at THE Show in Newport last weekend. Tonearm aside, it was (sort of) similar to the Aries 1 in design. It looks like you could mount any 9"-10" arm on the turntable.
The Aries 3 was a HUGE step up from my original Aries. The original Aries is not in the same league at all.