Why not magnetic tapes in stead of vinyl records?

My understanding is that previously, original recordings were captured on magnetic tapes. The recording is then transferred to a metal stamper, which then creates the vinyl records we use at home. But, why don't they just copy the magnetic tape to other magnetic tapes and sell us those? I mean the same size and everything that the engineer uses. Then, audiophiles (at least some) would have nice magnetic tape players in stead of turntables.

I know people did use reel to reel for some time. I remember cassettes. But I don't believe people ever had an interface to play the big magnetic tape reels at their homes.
elegal
Onhwy61, Do you expect to be alive in 2089? Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs data retention is rated 100 years. Same for SanDisk flash memory. I need only 30 years - no issue for me.
This issue isn't whether it effect either of us, but how it effects future generations of music lovers. Will the music being produced today be accessible to them? A CD may physically survive, but will there be the specific hardware or operating systems needed to access the stored music?
Converting formats of computer files, when needed, is relatively easy.

I just converted all my .wav files to FLAC, something I knew I would do eventually when I started several years back.

I did it with free MediaMonkey software, a few mouse clicks, and my existing external drives.

I converted about 200 CDs worth of files, about 1Tb in .wav format to about .5 Tb in lossless compressed format FLAC. IT did take about 48 hours for all files to convert given that volume of data, but it all worked as it should.

I expect FLAC to be around for quite a while. I do not know of anything at this time coming down the pipe that will necessitate a change again anytime soon, but "never say never".

I would love to convert all my large record collection to digital, but the work and cost involved to do that is prohibitive by far, not even remotely feasible, so I will keep playing those records as well as needed for teh foreseeable future and only convert the "must haves" to digital as time permits.
Whoops I converted about 2000 CDs actually, not just 200 as I typed prior.

That would take 1/10th the time to convert. :^)
I've tried to explain inconvenience of using R2R - nothing else. I don't have anything against analog but limited amount of available recordings made me concentrate on CD/computer playback. As for storing tapes in the attic - it is possibly the worst place to keep magnetic tapes since tapes are affected by high temperatures the most followed by temperature changes.

Kijanki, I speak from experience and I mentioned attics for a reason- tapes don't mind being heated up. In fact its a common practice in the studio to bake an older tape (with a polyester backing) as this chases moisture out of the tape and reduces sticking and shedding dramatically.

Once baked properly, the tape will likely play without shedding for months or several years before needing it again. Of course this practice only works if the tape is not totally shot to begin with...

I run an LP mastering operation; last year we did a reissue project of a local blues/folk musician (Spider John Koerner, for those keeping track, http://www.neros-neptune.com/spider-john-koerner-some-american-folk-songs-like-they-used-to-lp-cd/). The recording was not spectacular, but it was on reel to reel, stored that way in the attic of the artist since 1972. The tapes were in immaculate condition (surprise! -no baking needed!) despite being an early 'high output' formula.

Tapes don't mind being heated up one bit as long as its not excessive. Its a lot better for them than storing them in the basement! I still have cassette tapes in my old Bronco that are 30 years old and still play fine. I store them in the truck and they get heated (baked) there quite a lot. I have no doubt that is why they don't shed after all these years.