DSPeaker Anti Mode 2.0 evaluation

I have read all of the glowing reviews of this product and I just don't understand why I am not impressed. I have been lucky to find a very kind dealer to allow me to try one the DSPeaker Anti Mode 2.0 units.
I have 2 JL Audio F113 subwoofers that I have set up in stereo and are based on their own microphones measurement calibration.

So, with those sub settings and then switching out the LF Filter, I then used the DSPeaker unit to eq just my JL subs. That is, I tested the unit by playing my Andra 2 speakers full range via my Pass Labs Preamp and Amp and with the other Preamp outputs I plugged in the DSPeaker in and then the JL subs are plugged into the DSPeaker.

I ran the DSPeaker calibration. I used the DSPeaker in and out of the flow by using its bypass button and I really couldn’t tell much of any improvement. In fact I believe I like the bypass sound better.

Why is this? All of the glowing reviews and it is only marginal different if at all.

Now, there is an update for the DSPeaker in June 2013 but my Norton Virus control will not allow the download. Perhaps, if I was able to download that update it would be better, but I doubt it.

So, before I end my trial of the unit, is my configuration flawed , what do you guys think?
128x128ozzy
Douglas_schroeder, Thanks for the help. I'm using 2 of the JL Audio Fathom F113 and they are forward firing.

But, I have never tried footers on the subs. I do have some Black diamond that I can try. But the subs are heavy...
Douglas_schroeder,

Have you heard the device in question?

Maybe Kr4 can comment on your statement "All such products diminish absolute definition/clarity - no exceptions," which is a bit too absolutist and sweeping for my taste. Not to say that it might not be true. Good thing multiple retailers of the DSPeaker have audition or return policies.

IIRC, at least one of the published reviews of the Dual Core made reference to the transparency when it was in the system. Greene's TAS review I think?
In theory, of course, the insertion of any unnecessary additional device, even an interconnect can only diminish the accuracy of the signal. However, the issue is whether that insertion is truly unnecessary or if the price of its insertion buys an improvement in the perceived signal in some other way. To address this case, is the insertion loss due to the A/D/A and DSP of the subwoofer EQ more or less pernicious than that due to the imposition of modal room effects without it?
Rocsoeiii, yes, I have heard the Dual Core DSP unit and found it both intriguing and good sounding. I would consider the Dual Core as potentially highly efficacious because it has preamp funcitionality and as such would allow the removal of a traditional preamp and set of cables. I read one review, perhaps Greene's, I don't recall, and thought that it might have a high degree of transparency if replacing a preamp.

I have had similar experiences where CD players with preamp functionality have sounded cleaner than when in use with even very high quality preamps. Mind you, not necessarily superior overall, but in terms of cleanness and definition.

Ozzy, I suggest you try using the XLR outs of the Cary to the AntiMode 2.0, which would bypass the QOL and Pass Labs preamp. You may have too much of a good thing ahead of the Antimode and by streamlining you may like the result far better. If you have been running QOL/PASS/AntiMode 2.0 to the subs I would think that the simple removal of these two other devices will greatly enhance the bass performance and perhaps cause a reversal of your view of the AntiMode 2.0

One of the beautiful things about hockey pucks is they don't require two people to use, simply tip the sub and shove them underneath. :)
Doug, Somewhere down the line I will try the DSPeaker with a more direct path to my Amp. But, the Qol unit is a staple. I could not enjoy music without it in the chain.