Help a REAL newbie. Please

Hi everyone,

I've recently returned to high end audio after a 20-year absence. I'm very happy with the sound of my set-up, but apparently I missed a few things in computer audio over the last couple of decades :). I have only downloaded one album to iTunes in my life, and I know nothing about hooking up my computer to a stereo system. I don't even own an iPod. I have an Oppo 105 and a Hegel H80 integrated (has an internal DAC). I also have a Macbook Air, but I haven't used it for audio purposes.

Rather than expanding my fairly limited CD collection, I'd like to begin to build a library of high resolution files that can be played on my system. But I really have NO idea where to start. I've had a heck of a time finding a good guide to computer audio that isn't too advanced for me or that covered lots of irrelevant (to me) information. I'm only interested in getting the best audiophile-quality sound I can out of my system.

Do any of you have a suggestion of books, websites, videos, etc. that might get me up to speed relatively quickly on the basics? It's a new world out there for a luddite like me who doesn't even own a cell phone.

Thank you for your time to help out a newbie.

All the best from Oregon,
Scott
smrex13
OK, I'm starting to get the attraction :). I got a cheap monitor to be able to navigate the Oppo and downloaded the firmware update that allows it to play DSD files. I downloaded a few albums onto a thumb drive and plugged it in. I'm sitting here listening to the Miles Davis ("Kind of Blue") and it is SO much better than my redbook CD copy. Wow! I also have Muddy Waters's "Folk Singer" and the clarity is startling. Just what I needed - another place to spend my audio money :)

Thanks everyone for getting me off on the right foot. I think this is going to be fun!

Best,
Scott
Congratulations!

The user interface on the Oppo is not as flexible as iTunes or one of the other players, but it does take all the computer issues out of the picture. It seems like you are on the right track. To do DSD over usb you need the 105 Darbee edition

You can use a multi terabyte drive and have access a large amount of high rez music. Not all high rez downloads are that much better than Redbook, but a lot are. The trick is to find the ones that were re-mastered, which is not all that easy to determine.

You may have done so already, but you should try a high rez LPCM download from you MAC and from the thumb drive. Eventually, you should be able to get them to sound the same, but it may take some work.

Enjoy the music. That is what it is all about.
I thought that the download for the new version of the firmware allowed for DSD over USB. I'm not entirely sure how to tell that I'm playing DSD, but the display says that I am (before downloading the firmware it did not).

Ultimately, will I get better sound quality playing through a dedicated computer with a good USB cable or by using a thumb drive to eliminate the additional interface?

Thanks again (oh, and what is LPCM?). Sorry for all the questions.

Best,
Scott
Well, back to frustration :( After listening to songs off of a flash drive, I can no longer play anything from my computer through the Oppo using Audirvana or iTunes. They both work fine when plugged in via the USB input on the Hegel, but as soon as I plug it in to the USB input on the Oppo, it all goes silent. I've had a couple of tech savvy friends look at it, and they're stumped. I'd been playing it just this morning, and all was working. I've restarted everything, checked connections, checked mute settings, etc. No luck.

And this is why I don't like computer audio…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
LPCM is the typical format and includes 16 bit/44.1 KHz for Redbook and high rez formats like 24 bit/192KHz (24/192).

Pretty sure you need the Darbee version of the 105 to do DSD over usb. On the original 105, I am pretty sure the upgrade only allows DSD from a usb drive.

To get MAC working do you need to select the usb input from the remote again?